Is there a book, or a website...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 5, 2005
london
which explains the law on wild food, in plain english? I'm a novice trying to learn this, and there seem to be endless complications, but nowhere to find out what is allowed and what isn't. I want a really nice, simple list, like this! -

Animals you cannot catch - blah blah blah
Birds you cannot catch - flap flap
Protected fish - gurgle gurgle
Traps you must not use - etc
Traps you can use but not on sundays if it's raining - etc
Animals you need a license for -

Illegals ways of catching bunnies -
Illegal ways of catching squirrels -
and so on for every animal and fish

What you must never ever do in an SSSI - this, that, and the other...
A complete list of SSSI's in the UK - etc

Surely, someone, somewhere has written something to make it nice and simple? :confused: ;) :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ed

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
bardsandwarriors said:
which explains the law on wild food, in plain english? I'm a novice trying to learn this, and there seem to be endless complications, but nowhere to find out what is allowed and what isn't. I want a really nice, simple list, like this! -
Animals you cannot catch - blah blah blah
Birds you cannot catch - flap flap
Protected fish - gurgle gurgle
Check out the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981

bardsandwarriors said:
What you must never ever do in an SSSI - this, that, and the other...
A complete list of SSSI's in the UK - etc
All the SSSI are listed on English Nature's website and the damaging operations are included somewhere in the details.
Here is the link for this bit http://www.english-nature.org.uk/special/sssi/

As for traps and snares etc try this to get you started http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_response_to_the_defr

Sep 5, 2005
london
Thanks Lawrence, I appreciate you trying to help. But the BASC letter tells me very little about what I can and can't do, refers to at least 10 organisations which I've never heard of, and directs me to 3 acts of parliament to find the information I want. You mention another one - "Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981". Do I really need to plough through those to find the information? grr! ;)

Maybe I need a copy of "Traps & Snares – a field guide to legal and illegal traps and snares"?

The SSSI site only covers sites in england. The welsh one is here:
http://www.ccw.gov.uk/protected_sites/

But there must be a lot more legal stuff than that, and I'm bound to miss something. Surely there is there a layman's guide somewhere, which covers everything in a simple list.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
you know, we should compile a list and have it on the site
That may be a good idea, but these things change quite often and its hard to keep up with them and makesure everything is up to date.

It would be great if there was a single site or a book that had all this infomation in, but as far as i know there isn't one that covers everything you are after.

The best place i can think of is this forum..... All of those question above have been answered somewhere on here (I remember answering most of them), its just a case of searching the infomation out.

Have a trall through all the old thread....... I'm sure you'll find your answers ;)

:D
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
After having a think about this I think it may be a time to sort out a 'Fair Game' FAQ ...... so..... I'll put up a sticky post in the Fair Game forum and gather questions you would like answered in an FAQ ....... especially those questions that get asked time and time again ;)

:D
Ed

Sep 5, 2005
london
Cheers Ed. I will keep my eye on it!

It's taken me such a long time, gradually finding this legal information. I don't want to break the law (except, maybe, bend it a little bit here and there, you know?! ;) ), and this has stopped me going out catching things. I want to honestly go out and catch my dinner with a clear conscience. Maybe I already know most of it now, and maybe I'm being too cautious - I've read through this forum, right back to the start - but it still bothers me that I've missed things, because I keep coming across little rules and laws that I hadn't heard about.

So I think a FAQ on the law would be excellent. If you wanted to make some money from it, one of you guys could even write a book on it and publish it as an annual, and keep a website listing the latest changes. Just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE