Is it all in the eyes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I think that's the booze, Mr bojit,.........Have you got your bergen elastic sorted yet ?

Not fixed it yet but i have bought the elastic , give me a little while and i will do it then post some pics on the bergen thread .
today i am sitting at home looking after a sick kid , but i think not to sick as she is sitting stuffing her face !

Craig.............

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That seems to match my experience.

That definitely doesn't. Although they do seem to change a little with angle and movement, and the colour of the light I'm using makes some difference, I can still routinely recognize individual animals by the colours of their eyes at night.

If we use a similar light source & are about the same distance from them,each time, give or take a kilometre, then prehaps the colour will always be of a similar hue.......................next time play " she said" by Plan B, guaranteed to make any animal danse, & while their swaying their heads about, shine your torch & I bet your'll see more than one colour.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Not fixed it yet but i have bought the elastic , give me a little while and i will do it then post some pics on the bergen thread .
today i am sitting at home looking after a sick kid , but i think not to sick as she is sitting stuffing her face !

Craig.............

No rush Mr. bojit, the kids come first.........................here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Now, now girls, there is no specific colour for a species, it all depends on the length & angle of the light reflectig off the tapetum lucidum, reflective tissue just behind the retina,, you can see all the colours of the rainbow from a single animal. all depends how his looking at you................that said, if you shine your torch into a field & you see large shiny discs glowing several colours at the same time...............................run.

LOL. I've shined the surface of the lake and seen several pairs of red disks moving toward shore and ran. The gators can have my tent.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Ok, introducing Groucho, Chewy and Jet.
Groucho and Chewy are pure albino, Jet is the Polecat.

Groucho - one whitish eye, one red.
14032011168.jpg

Grouch - Both red.
14032011172.jpg

Chewy - Orangey.
14032011176.jpg

Jet - Green.
14032011182.jpg

Jet - Red & Chewy - White.
14032011186.jpg

Jet - Blue & green.
14032011194.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If we use a similar light source & are about the same distance from them,each time, give or take a kilometre, then prehaps the colour will always be of a similar hue..........

Perhaps. But I normally measure the distance in feet, not kilometres. :)

.............next time play " she said" by Plan B, guaranteed to make any animal danse, & while their swaying their heads about, shine your torch & I bet your'll see more than one colour.

Can't abide music out in the sticks. Normally I just

get the BBQ going

and

they all

flock around

to wait until

the sausages are ready. :)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
The light source does have an influence. However, as I said above my two dogs under the same light have different coloured eyes and the bunnies had blue eyes under three different lamps tonight - the fox was green with three different lamps. It has more to do with the make up of the retina I would have thought?????
WRT Santaman - Lamping rabbits is common place - lamping salmon, on the other hand is most certainly poaching.[/QUOTE]

why is that then ???? Whats the Differance ????

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
When i've been out lamping all the rabbits i have caught in the lamp have had green eyes, all the foxes red, and one night i caught something in the beam with bright yellow eyes, but that's another story.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
This is the third time ive tried to type this i keep getting cut off for some reason.

Can i just say i didn't mention the yellow eyes as a leader into this tale and now i wish i hadn't but i've been asked so i'll tell.

A mate and i used to poach a golf course just outside Dudley, where i used to live. Not often about once a month we'd load up the dogs and the lamp for a bit of sport. I don't mind telling this now as it's been a few years ago and after we were caught and told, none too politely, (by the biggest copper i have ever seen) to go back to Dudley and poach there, we never went back.

After lamping the golf course a few times we noticed the rabbits were getting a bit wise and were off before we could give the dogs a run so we decided to walk down both sides of the fairways, my mate on one side and me on the other (with the lamp), if a rabbit got up and ran towards his side he would slip his dog and if it ran towards my side i would slip mine, to give the dogs a better chance of a run before the rabbit disappeared into the trees.

We were walking up one fairway and i turned on the lamp shining back at me from a distance of around 50-60 yards was a pair of large, bright, yellow eyes. I looked across at my mate to make sure he had seen them. He nodded his head and signalled to walk towards them. We had only gone a few steps when this "thing" got up and ran across the fairway from left to right over to my side. From the side i could obviously see its shape, it was a large black cat, around 3-4 feet in length with a tail almost as long again. I will never forget the way it ran it seemed to glide rather than run across the ground. After it had gone into the trees my mate and i walked towards each other meeting in the middle of the fairway, talking about what we had just seen, thinking that if it came back at least we would have as much notice as possible and also watching the dogs for any reaction. Five minutes or so passed without any noise or sighting so we decided to carry on and finish our usual circuit and get back to the car. At the end of this particular fairway there was a sharp right turn over a small bridge onto the next. Just over the bridge the dogs ears pricked up and the both pulled on their leads towards the left hand side which was a sharp bank, down and away from the fairway.

Now rightly or wrongly, wrongly looking back, we slipped the dogs they ran away and down the bank, there was a loud, deep growl and both dogs came running back not wanting to know whatever it was. At this point i would like to mention that my dog was a daughter of Merab ( Brian Plummers best ever bitch) a brilliant worker with a fantastic nose. My mates dog was a big powerful saluki greyhound cross with alot of guts( if anything a touch too hard for my taste), and even he didnt want anything to do with whatever it was down there.

I said to my mate, "shall we go and have a look" he said "if you want to go, you go, i'll wait here" and to be honest i really didn't fancy going down there on my own so i didn't. How i wish i could turn the clock back. So thats about it, we made our way back to the car and home, talking about it all the way back and for weeks later. I haven't told this tale to try and gain any sort of fame or notoriety, i'm just relating what happened and if anyone doesn't believe me or feels the need to ridicule, carry on i won't lose any sleep over it, i know what i saw.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's a good account Andy.
I'm pretty sure you know what you saw and have no reason to lie or exaggerate.
Also, if that was your run of the mill moggy, those dogs would've surely had a go at it and not run back.
Cheers for taking the time to tell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE