Is it all in the eyes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Bunnies normally show up as a pair of blue eyes under headtorch light... well they do for me anyway. So as I lamped one tonight (an missed :-( ) I was aware of a really sharp pair of green eyes watching from an adjacent field - I assumed it was a fox.

Does anyone have some good photgraphic examples of 'eyes at night'?

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
My Labs eyes reflect back green in the dark. Even a camera flash in daylight makes her look like Zoltan (showing my age a bit there :) )

P1010535.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So am I to take it that spotlighting is a legal hunting method? I ask because here it's considered a form of poaching except for possums and raccoons.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
The light source does have an influence. However, as I said above my two dogs under the same light have different coloured eyes and the bunnies had blue eyes under three different lamps tonight - the fox was green with three different lamps. It has more to do with the make up of the retina I would have thought?????
WRT Santaman - Lamping rabbits is common place - lamping salmon, on the other hand is most certainly poaching.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
There used to be a demonic collie near us that kept trying to herd cars, first you knew of it was the intense red eyes bearing down on you. Scared the whatsit out of me the first time.

OK I admit it, every time since. I change my route after the third ambush

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
There used to be a demonic collie near us that kept trying to herd cars, first you knew of it was the intense red eyes bearing down on you. Scared the whatsit out of me the first time.

OK I admit it, every time since. I change my route after the third ambush

Were you with the lady that's know as Lou? :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
My Labs eyes reflect back green in the dark. Even a camera flash in daylight makes her look like Zoltan (showing my age a bit there :) )

P1010535.jpg

That may not be a good sign, the pupils that remain open in daylight could be an indication of devoloping cataracts, hope I'm wrong ( I usually am ).

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Hopefully you are mate, she's only coming up on three years old. She's due at the vets for a booster jab soon, I'll ask him to check her out.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
One of my dogs has scary, dull red eyes, the other bright green. My old friend Buster had yellow eyes, here is an enhancement of this image taken a few years ago.

In my experience foxes have blue, green or gold eyes. This fellow had extraordinary golden eyes, so we called him Goldeneyes. My favourite had piercing blue eyes, like a couple of little diamonds running towards you. Sadly she and Goldeneyes are both gone now.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
really? when i shine a light of sheep on my uncles farm they turn up like orangey not green o_O

Now, now girls, there is no specific colour for a species, it all depends on the length & angle of the light reflectig off the tapetum lucidum, reflective tissue just behind the retina,, you can see all the colours of the rainbow from a single animal. all depends how his looking at you................that said, if you shine your torch into a field & you see large shiny discs glowing several colours at the same time...............................run.

Last edited:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I think it is all down to the moon , when we have a full moon my wifes eyes are a scary red ! :)

Craig.............

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... there is no specific colour for a species...

That seems to match my experience.

it all depends on the length & angle of the light reflectig off the tapetum lucidum, reflective tissue just behind the retina,, you can see all the colours of the rainbow from a single animal. all depends how his looking at you...

That definitely doesn't. Although they do seem to change a little with angle and movement, and the colour of the light I'm using makes some difference, I can still routinely recognize individual animals by the colours of their eyes at night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE