Interesting site

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
In case you've missed it there is a very interesting survival site called "Equipped to Survive" www.equipped.com. Lots of links, reviews and plenty of suggestions for what to carry and what is wrong with a lot of commercial kit. The site is written by a pilot and so much of it is geared towards ditching a 'plane, but campers and especially those with a survival bent should find lots to chew over here.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
One thing odd about that site, note they have (and recommend) a Chris Reeve Sebenza as a good all rounder (albeit folding) "survival" knife. I took delivery of a small version a few weeks ago and was dismayed that the spine of the blade is very neatly rounded off. It was completely useless at generating a spark from a ferroceum (sp?) rod. I had to take my shiny new £200 quid knife to my grinder, and grind the spine square in order to have a good edge to give to the rod. It sparks superbly now, but I voided a lifetime warranty in the process.

Rather odd I thought, recommending a knife which is not designed to throw sparks without modification.

Apart from that, the knife is outstanding BTW. ;)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I think I read a note to that effect last week, presumably posted by yourself. I really must pay more attention...

"Equipped" can be a bit opinionated, but then it is essentially one man's site and I like to have a few things to disagree with now and then. It might be worth passing along your comments on the knife to Doug Ritter to see what he thinks. For myself, alas, such a piece of hardware is rather beyond my current means, so I'll stick with my eight quid wood-handled Mora, which throws a spark rather splendidly.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Having read a lot of the "Equipped" site I can see why Doug Ritter may not even have thought of using the back of his knife in this way. It is very much a survival site, and in that respect his comments about always having an alternative striker are perfectly valid. Mind you, I also think that your opinion that the knife should be useable as a striker is equally valid, and it basically comes down to how you're expecting to use it and whether the situation is everyday use or short-term survival.

It's a lovely looking item, but I cannot see myself ever needing one. For bushcraft it seems a bit like overkill.

I do find it very encouraging that Mr Ritter posted a response to you, though, and it's something I like about this site too. The Internet has managed to bring a lot of diverse people a little closer together through shared interests, so now we can disagree and argue cheerfully with folks half a world away.

Incidentally, any thoughts that I'm merely jealous because I use a considerably cheaper and more basic knife are of course simple nonsense... ahem.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bigjackbrass said:
Having read a lot of the "Equipped" site I can see why Doug Ritter may not even have thought of using the back of his knife in this way. It is very much a survival site, and in that respect his comments about always having an alternative striker are perfectly valid. Mind you, I also think that your opinion that the knife should be useable as a striker is equally valid, and it basically comes down to how you're expecting to use it and whether the situation is everyday use or short-term survival.

It's a lovely looking item, but I cannot see myself ever needing one. For bushcraft it seems a bit like overkill.

Fair points. I agree, that the ETS site has a wholly different focus, but there are a lot of knife tests/reviews, presumably done by someone with real world experience - Doug or whoever. They favour the Sebenza, as do many, many others and for good reason, it is superb. I just found it curious that this is overlooked in the review. Granted, they do profer many other firestarting methosds, but I think they do like the ferrocerium rods see link and even mentions using the knife as a steel ....
The back edge of many knives works as well as the sharp edge, if it hasn't been eased
So clearly Doug is aware of the method, but either doesnt favour it, or considers it not so important given the other fire starting equipment he carries.

In fairness, I think he does prefer one handed starting methods, given that his focus is for a "downed pilot" who may be injured, that is reasonable.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Hello All! You may recognise me as the forum administrator for Equipped. Sebenzas are superb knives. They are not "the" knife promoted with mythic excalibur promises like so many sites and instructors. I personally do not,can not and would not own one. They are well beyond my finances and frankly the price better spread among several equally if not more vital bits of kit. Metal scales or handles are anathema to me personally, having grabbed barehanded the rail of my icebreaker during a hard roll. I do have concerns with the knife and metal flint issue. Does it work?Yes. Is it a good strategy?No. Knives elicite passions like no sleeping bag debate ever could. It is probably the singularly most expensive ( especially after several mistaken acquisitions) item and earliest acquired piece of kit. This is where the "Walter Mittty" in all of us sneaks up. The idea of running Mowgli like into the wilderness naked except for a knife and firesteel, wrestling our food and shelter with it alone is powerfull. Can it be done? Yes, and we are better for it. I personally carry enough redundant fire making systems to merit suspicion for arsen. And then I can reference stories where fire was impossible and that humble sleeping bag the primary survival tool.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
i have to agree with chris i'm passionate about knives (i own a knife company) and i carry all sorts of weird and wonderful tinder
but i never leave home without a blizzard bag

when its wet and cold and after hours of frustration i am still unable to light a fire i can still climb into it and be warm and dry

its only 350g warmer for its weight than down and water proof

see: http://www.blizzardpack.com/outdoor_sport/index.htm

my knife can do alot but it cant do that!!

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I hope my reply doesn't give offense. A metal match is a prized piece of my own gear. This is that subtle difference between survival and bushcraft again. Making a fire can be an exercise in self satisfaction. Standing wet after a plane crash,one arm broken,twilight approaching down the endless plain with a hypothermic wind I WANT IT NOW. thats why I carry a metal match, Lifeboat matches, a Sparklite, disposable lighters, cotton and petroleum jelly tinder and fatwood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE