Instructable - How to make strike anywhere matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I was just sent ans "Instructable" about how to make strike anywhere matches from safety matches. Not sure if it works but here you are
http://www.instructables.com/id/Strike-anywhere-matches/
[FONT=&quot]Strike anywhere matches[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]benny8025[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
You will need: Matches, sanding paper, a small container, something to stir with, a pair of pliers, a tube or a d-cell battery, and water.
You will also need something to lay the matches on, like the edge of a table or this cd case that I use.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sand off the phosphorus on the sides of the matchbox and put the powder in the container.[/FONT]
Step 2Put on the phosphorus

Put a few drops of water in the container and stir well. Take the matches, one by one, and dip them in the wet phosphorus. Then lay them out to dry
Step 3Cover the phosphorus

When they are dry, take some new matches and squeeze of the heads. Then smash the powder with the pipe or battery by pressing it down and rolling it over the powder and put it in the container (if you use the same container, be sure to wash out the phosphorus). Add a few drops of water and stir well. Then dip the matches so that you cover the phosphorus on them and let them to dry again for a while.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Step 5Warning

Be sure to wash your hands after making these matches. Phosphorus is toxic.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com

• :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I was wondering...
  • would they be safer than red ones dipped in wax when crushed (we all know stepping on a red one can ignite it)?
  • Could you dip these in wax and they still work?
  • Would they need to be struck on something hard to work as you have to scrape down to the phosphorous?
  • Would they self ignite if they got wet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE