Inside or out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you carry your sleeping bag?

• Total voters

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Simple question really. Do you carry your sleeping bag inside or outside of your rucksack?
If on the outside how do you manage to keep it dry?:D

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
inside. Packs small and goes in the bottom section along with my sleep mat that also packs small. My tent - if I'm using it - goes on the outside in the dry bag it came in. Not sure if I'd ever put a sleeping bag on the outside - sleep mats perhaps and I'd not care if they got wet - just wipe them off before use.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I work on the principle that nothing goes on the outside these days. If it doesn't fit I am taking too much!

Also if items are outside the pack they become a snagging hazard IMHO at least!

Depends...on how long I'm going for and how much gear i need for when I get there.
Always in a waterproof fold top bergan dry bag liner inside a stuff sack. Either under the lid in my bergan or stuffed in the bottom.

When I'm canoeing, it's in a bergan liner and then inside a barrel (or para bag for protection) :D just in case!

WS

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I carry mine on the inside and it almost takes up all the room unfortunately.

This the reason I asked the question in the first place, that a sleeping bag takes up such a lot of room in a rucksack. Interesting to hear all the views.:D

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Inside the pack, in a dry-bag. I got a deal on a number of Outdoor Designs dry-bags a while back (no connection, etc) which have gortex bases on them, which means you can squeeze the air out of them - so acting a bit like a compression bag, just not so extreme.. (Have to compress it a bit - it's a synthetic, so it's a bit bulky)...

B

bushyboo

outside rolled up in my bivybag not had a problem with it getting wet yet

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
outside rolled up in my bivybag not had a problem with it getting wet yet
I'd had it mind to try that, modified my pack and made some leather straps to hold it on too. Just haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Glad to here it's worked for you:) .

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I live out of barrels mostly these days. Stuff my sleeping bag into gaps between tools and tents and the likes(not in a stuff sack, loose and vunerable). It's the second last thing to go in, the last being a change of clothes.

It was always the first thing to come outside of the rucksack though if it filled up but it fits so well into the bottom compartment of a karrrimor jaguar75 that that's it's home if I'm traveling light.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
mines on the outside, I have a German issue one and is too bulky for my rucsack even though it's a 80L one,if it rain my poncho covers it, but it's shower proof anyhow.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I hate having anything at all hanging, dangling, strapped on the outside of the ruck.
Everything goes into the rucksack, including the sleeping bag.
If things don't fit inside, they either don't come or I choose a bigger rucksack.

/ Karl

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Fred
I carry my sleeping bag inside my rucksac in a plastic bag to keep it dry. I only carry a rollmat and tent on the outside.
Cheers,
Doug

p.s. I've sent you PM ! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE