Ingenious and "unlimited" green energy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Yeah I know it isn't perfect but if you had say a log burner and ran the hot chamber from that and a generator from a flywheel it could potentially heat/power your house! As I say I know it's not perfect but surely it's a step in the right direction.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yeah I know it isn't perfect but if you had say a log burner and ran the hot chamber from that and a generator from a flywheel it could potentially heat/power your house! As I say I know it's not perfect but surely it's a step in the right direction.

You would have efficiency problems but it's possible. I think you'd find that you'd need to spend so much on wood that paying a power company suddenly seems pretty reasonable.

HillBill - I suggest you study some basic physics/thermodynamics before spouting off as you're making yourself sound really ignorant and I don't want to lose all respect for you because I really like your knives... The laws of thermodynamics weren't created by EDF or British Gas and they apply to everyone.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
JIFFI Do you mean Central Heating? I've got that with perpetual motion - I have to keep getting up to adjust the thermostat.:)

Didn't the Mayan's hijack a thread a little while ago? I'll go and check. Back soon.

A.

Couldn't find the Mayan calendar one but have a butchers at these threads:-

Cop for this Darwin
What's this over Norway
The Bright Star thats shown up

I shan't be investing in perpetual motion engines any time soon:rolleyes:

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How old are they?

JIFFI Do you mean Central Heating? I've got that with perpetual motion - I have to keep getting up to adjust the thermostat.:)

Didn't the Mayan's hijack a thread a little while ago? I'll go and check. Back soon.

A.

Couldn't find the Mayan calendar one but have a butchers at these threads:-

Cop for this Darwin
What's this over Norway
The Bright Star thats shown up

I shan't be investing in perpetual motion engines any time soon:rolleyes:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well gentlemen.... i was under the assumption that this perpetual motion thing was fairly common.......Thats why i haven't bothered saying anything in the past. If its as impossible as you say, then you have just made my year :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If ever I've seen a method to get rich by using the 3rd world to tug at the heart strings of the West, then this is it. This contraption belongs in a Betterware catalogue next to the world's most comfortable shoes, casual slacks with elasticated waistband, an onion chopper and a back scratcher/multi-purpose grabber.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

They are coming jiffi - you are absolutely right in that there is wasted energy in electricity generation. CHP units are already in use that adress this (Combined Heat and Power)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

There are ways in which we can extract energy that is as near limitless as makes no difference on a human scale - solar and tidal energy spring to mind. The cost of extraction and distribution is of course another matter.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I have seen sterling engines albeit small scale ones operating at a temp difference of 2 degrees between the hot and cold cylinders surely in this day and age with the materials we have we could come up with something that could at least give us something viable so we weren't pretending that wind turbines are working. It is a concept that definetly works it just needs refinement and up scaling. Surely the energy company's can see its worth at least researching as it could be setup pretty much anywhere and if ground source heating can keep a house "warm" surely we could use a similar idea to heat the expansion vessel on the Stirling engine!!!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
There are three main laws of energy conservation.

1) You will never win
2) You will never break even
3) You will always lose.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I know what you mean Red! In Lerwick there is a town wide congeneration scheme and it works well I just think we could do it using less fuel with the sterling engine concept as so little temp difference can provide a lot of kinetic energy therefore providing electricity cheaply and for little fuel in comparison with fossil fuels. We could do as the Scandinavians do and burn rubbish to generate communal hot water but also with the "wasted" heat drive the engine and if not provide all the electric at least provide a major helping hand.
I am not naive enough to believe I single handedly sorted the energy crisis but I firmly believe that one day a bloke in his shed will crack it and I hope he is man enough to share it with the world and not sell the idea for personal gain!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its perfectly possible to increase efficiency. Most power stations have waste heat. I watched a segment of TV on a greenhouse that utilises this free heat to grow tomatoes.

To me, thats the kind of thinking we need. We can for sure use things like this....and geothermal, groundsource and many other ways to use what we have creatively.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
This is a cheat! Some where in the block is a battery attached to the two nails. If you notice when he is testing the voltage from the magnet to the nail the magnet is actually touching the other nail. People have been trying for hundreds of years to produce a perpetual motion machine using magnets and failing. If it was possible the military would be using it Do you think that all the thousands of people who work for power companies would keep it secret? Think of how much money they could make?
Sorry

indeed...things like this wouldn't get out either

[h=1]Six hours' power for one trip to the bathroom! African teenage girls create 'pee-powered' generator
[/h]
assuming of course its not a fake

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
There is a project in London developing a commercial CHP setup.

http://www.kingscross.co.uk/energy-sustainability

80 acre site, over 5000 residential units, school of arts, Sainsburys new HQ and other commercial units all powered by an on site gas turbine generator. The waste heat is piped around the site for heating. There is even space in the design to heat further housing developments next to the site. Quite impressive.

You can also get domestic CHP units the size of a washing machine. These are household boilers with a Sterling engine built in.

http://www.baxi.co.uk/ecogen

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE