Informed Choice of Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Heinnies prices for some things are a bit steep. Not sure how competitive they are for this. Ragweed's forge used to have good prices on Helle but you might get stung for customs and tax. A German site Toolbox also sell them.

Helle sometimes come up on evilbay. There's a barely used eggen on just now.

Attleborough accessories in Norfolk sometimes have Scandinavian knives.

Finally, you can often examine various knives at the Game Fairs. The Scottish Game Fair at Scone is only 2 weeks away. In previous years there has been a dealer (Moonraker?) there and I think they had both Helle and EKA but I could be wrong. I've also seen Gransfors axes for sale.

George B

Jun 15, 2005
yeah it would be great to see a post from you Josey about your experiences with the knife when you get it. :)

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I think the positioning of the Frost's as "just a training knife" belies just how good they are. Like a bic lighter or a tarpaulin, they may be cheap but are perfect at what they do.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
The price of hennie for the EKA is the same as all the other places that get them from the same importers.
I must warn against the helle knife if you intend to be hard on it. I've heard of a number of cases of them breaking after time, this has only been in cases where they have been used for lots of heavy work and I don't mean it as a bad thing about the knives.
EKA knives are like volvos-not the cheapest but sturdy, get the job done and seem to end up just being there.

I'd get a mora knife for £6 whilst waiting for a bargin EKA

George B

Jun 15, 2005
hmm well, both are good manufacturers but after i searched a little more i did come across the helle knife breaking/loose handle stories, after serious hard use. I can see it is a great tool, and a little more aesthetically pleasing, than the w11, but i'll go for the volvo-esque choice i reckon(a bit of a u-turn i know). The price on toolshop for the w11 isnt that different from heinnie, so i'll stick with the british company. I appreciate all the input from your posts. I'll have to tell you what its like when i eventually get it.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
You seem set on the production course George and fine knives they will be, but you said you didn't fancy waiting six months for a custom. Over on www.britishblades.com there are regularly handmade scandis up for sale by the maker, ready to post.

Danzo

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Danzo said:
You seem set on the production course George and fine knives they will be, but you said you didn't fancy waiting six months for a custom. Over on www.britishblades.com there are regularly handmade scandis up for sale by the maker, ready to post.

Danzo

Indeed, if your in the market for a knife it's always worth checking there first, I've seen some lovely work go for very good prices.

J

Josey Wales

George B said:
yeah it would be great to see a post from you Josey about your experiences with the knife when you get it. :)

Will do!!! - just have to wait untill it arrives :D ...

Cheers

George B

Jun 15, 2005
So then, just to be thorough, does anybody have any good experience of the Helle Harding, as not many posts have been in its favour.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
George B said:
So then, just to be thorough, does anybody have any good experience of the Helle Harding, as not many posts have been in its favour.

yes, they are fine knives. They take a good edge and slice well. But it's horses for courses time. I wouldn't use them with a batton, the EKA I would.

T

theorsmeister

I'd go for helle, good quality, nordic knives.

If u are on a budget, Kellam knives are very good quality and just as good as any knife.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
I'm blown away every time I hear Moras being referred to as a "Training Knife" ???? Like what the **** are these guys talking about????? I have around a dozen Moras ( SWAKs mostly and a few laminateds) that are liberally scattered through all my hunting, fishing, bushcraft gear, truck tool box and farmhouse kitchen!! Those things are tough, bloody sharp and the universal utility knife that most users can afford to break, lose, abuse and throw away! What more do you want in a fixed blade knife??? I also own an EKA locking folder called a "Hunter" or something similar, now that's a real nice knife that one!!! I'd rather have ten Moras and know I've got one handy and ready when I need it than a single Woodlore any day! IMHO price, name, looks or "sexiness" is irrelevant! If you can't afford to use em, break em and lose em! You can't afford em! Too many guys select their knives and gear as if they were gonna be placed in a glass display case! It ain't the knife you own that defines you it is what you do with it!!

Tigger

If you want a great knife you cannot go wrong with Cold Steel knives Ihave a considerable collection ,and these are my favorite hard use knives. Also check out heinnie.com,the team there give good advice,and have some good prices,Ihave been buying off them for years and never had a problem.
Tigger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE