In the market for a brew/cooking kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Wow loads of replies thanks all! I have some researching to do! I do like the look of the crusader kit especially

Good piece of kit and nigh on invincible. Heavy though:). Still you can make a little wicking meths stove from a vaseline tin that fits nicely in the burner unit.

monkeyboystove_zpsfd795554.jpg

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I'll give an enthusiastic second to Copper Heads statement on the Crusader set. True it's not the lightest one out there but it is damn near indestructible. The Crusader with Osprey is my current go to cook/brew kit. Works with Hexi, Fire Dragon fuel and meths. I used the fire rope conversion to use meths. If you decide on the Crusader and want to try the fire rope PM me as I have enough rope left over for you to try it out. I'll post it to you.

Treat yourself to a Crusader either MkI or MkII you won't regret it and you'll be supporting a British company.

DSC_0013.jpg

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I'll give an enthusiastic second to Copper Heads statement on the Crusader set. True it's not the lightest one out there but it is damn near indestructible. The Crusader with Osprey is my current go to cook/brew kit. Works with Hexi, Fire Dragon fuel and meths. I used the fire rope conversion to use meths. If you decide on the Crusader and want to try the fire rope PM me as I have enough rope left over for you to try it out. I'll post it to you.

Treat yourself to a Crusader either MkI or MkII you won't regret it and you'll be supporting a British company.

View attachment 40981

What's a fire rope? Is it impregnated or something?

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
What's a fire rope? Is it impregnated or something?

Sorry mate I should have mentioned what it is. Wood burning stoves and ovens have a gasket to seal the door. It's made of fibreglass spun to look like a rope. You coil the rope into the burn tray of the stoves and it acts as a wick for meths etc. it doesn't burn when lit but does discolour after some use. I got the idea from Jester Bushcraft on Youtube.

A still from the video showing the fire rope in the stove
being fuelled with meths
Screenshot from 2016-06-06 11:51:29.jpg

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I'm another fan of the Crusader and have a HeavyLids lid for mine which is great.

It will also burn "chaffing gel" which is the stuff they use to keep the food warm for things like buffet breakfasts in hotels - it is basically an alcohol gel. The good thing about this stuff is that you can buy it in catering sized 4kg drums for not much money and that will give you enough fuel to last quite some time. You can decant it into a smaller container for carrying with you when out. All these "green heat" and other ethanol type fuels are basically very expensive versions of the chafing gel.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Hmm thanks for the tip on the gel. Once I've used up all my numerous supply of assorted hexi tablets and meths and Fire Dragon I'm going to look at getting some chafing gel and decant into a smaller container.

I have a metal lid for my Crusader but it's not a HC one as I couldn't find any for sale here and postage from the US was more than the lid. I found an Aluminium lid from a guy on ebay for under a tenner.

Screenshot from 2016-06-07 07:06:21.jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hmm thanks for the tip on the gel. Once I've used up all my numerous supply of assorted hexi tablets and meths and Fire Dragon I'm going to look at getting some chafing gel and decant into a smaller container.

I have a metal lid for my Crusader but it's not a HC one as I couldn't find any for sale here and postage from the US was more than the lid. I found an Aluminium lid from a guy on ebay for under a tenner.

View attachment 41003

I got one of them not too long ago, good quality for the price and sent out very quickly.

If your going to use the crusader put a standard air pellet tin in the cup before burning anything, makes it much easier to clean. The new issue fire dragon blocks in particular leave a white crispy mess that almost seems welded to the cup.

Run a bit of good quality tape around the rim on the side you would drink from, stops you burning your lips.

Tonyuk

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Good idea about the tin I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I do line the burner tray with heavy tin foil when I'm not using meths & fire rope, makes clean up so much easier.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I've gone down the same route as countless others on YouTube and assembled by own cook/brew kit from commercially available parts. These being (nested in order)

Condor H2O pouch
Tatonka stainless Mug (GSI mug also works)
Stanley cook pot - remove the handle by cutting off 1/8th off one of the ends of the wire handle. This will allow you to twist it out, so you can refit later if required. The lid of the pot goes in the base of the pouch before the mug. It's also a perfect fit for the mug. There's a number of mods that you can do to the pot and lid to allow attachment of wire hangers etc. The pot takes a rat pack meal nicely (just curl it up a bit).
Nalgene Stainless backpacker waterbottle - the most expensive bit. Fit a brake cable hanger around the top so you can hang it over an open fire. Allows you to boil water in your water bottle (IF you have to). Makes a nice hot water bottle.
Lixada folding wood/pocket stove - you'll need to improvise a bit of mesh to put on top as the mug/pot/waterbottle is a bit small to fit the top of the stove in a stable manner. - I used a 100mm sq piece of 6mm wire mesh from Wickes. Stove fits in the front pocket of the pouch with the pot handle, a lighter, matches, some tinder card, jute twine etc. I can also fit a small folding wind shield in there too.

See my modes video here...

[video=youtube;7ja9Sq26OS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ja9Sq26OS0[/video]

Basically I've combined ideas from different folks to come up with a decent little system. I've also got the Condor gadget pouch which you can attach to the H2O pouch now which will hold a basic set of provisions such as drinks, long life food etc. Not so much an E&E kit but enough to get through 24 hours away from my pack/home. I'll be making a video of it soon once I have all the items I need (still waiting for some stuff from China).

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
d25d1c55dd1417f6abdf125cbb3210da.jpg

This is mine, the mug is alloy from decathlon and the bottle is a stainless cheapo from eBay.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE