Improving the Fiskars Brushhook handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Hi All,

I got myself a Fiskars X3 Brushhook at the weekend and have been using it to clear out one of our gardens and I have to say I am totally smitten with the thing, apart from the composite handle.

Yes I know it's light and well shaped but it just doesn't feel right.

Has anyone had a go at improving or replacing the handle? I was considering trying to put some weight on the inside of the hollow leading edge and possibly wrapping the outside of the handle with leather before anything more drastic.
Ideas/Inspiration anyone?

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I put some tennis racquet tape around the handle of my Fiskars hatchet, it's loadssssss better than that slippery plastic and is self adhesive.

Not sure what you could do with the handle, don't you want all the weight forward for a chopper ?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was using my little X5 in the rain a few weeks ago, and in a hurry, trying to quickly de-limb a small downed spruce. I was rushing, and it was wet, and the Fiskars came right out of my hand and onto the ground. If it had flown towards my leg it could have been nasty.

Now, I know I shouldn't have been rushing when using a hatchet, especially in the rain, but I needed that spruce to be a pole asap before my tarp ended up in the fire (long story), so I will definitely be trying the racquet tape trick to improve grip. Nice tip.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think some kind of wrap is definitely in order. I've no doubt the handle will last for an awfully long time and it's certainly well shaped but as has been said I just don't feel it should be a little more grippy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE