I'm really getting tired of Global Warming

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I live on a giant rock that's nearly the whole length of Ireland. Another way of saying that is that its about the same size as Taiwan. It hardly ever snows here, most Christmases are very green and you could go play golf on Boxing day if you really wanted to.

But last night it snowed here again. For the third time this year. The first dump came in early November. Our campus ended up being closed due to "extreme weather" and I missed an entire week of classes.

The second time it snowed was not at Christmas, but midway through January. Our campus was closed again.

Last night it snowed again. And its March 1st.

Does anyone else hate Global Warming?

Adam

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, don't start that... ;)

It certainly has been a funny "winter" this year, but I'm probably going to hate it more come midge season...

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
There are indeed weird climate manifestations.

For instance here in Quebec, we usualy get our first big snow storm around the beginning of december and this year at my suprise there was not even a single snowflake on the ground or temperatures below 0 celcius before mid january which is a first for me in 25 years (and also for some of my elders... my grandfather told me he saw this kind of weather only one other time in his lifetime). And to make matter worst, we are getting the extreme weathers in febuary instead of december/january. Last week we got 2 feet of snow in 1 day and we are set to have another foot tomorow (starting tonite).

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
nobby said:
I'd like to thank you for having the snow. These warm English Winters are really good for my old joints.

It's good to have a positive view of things :)

I can't say it's been all bad to have that kind of weather too. For instance, it's been less risky on the roads for a good while (for those who already drove on Quebec roads in winter, you'll know what I mean :eek: ). It's also a lot less harsh to live for homeless people as many of them unfortunately usualy die of hypotermia in this period :(

On a more bushcrafty note, have any of you ever built your own snow shovel ? :D

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Theres definitely been strange weather this year I reckon. Very little cold weather, mostly just wetter and windy.

The main thing I've noticed is how early the plants are budding out.

xylaria

andyn said:
Shouldn't it be getting hotter if its Global warming :p :confused:

May be not. Global weather patterns are powered by various streams of warm water moving around the globe. The north atlantic has the gulf stream moving warm air and water north. As sea tempertures rise, the north polar ice melts cold fresh water in to sea in the north atlantic pushing the gulf stream south or stopping it all together. Without a gulf stream the weather of the atlantic rim would be very differant. British weather would look like eastern europe and nova scotia more like winnipeg. If you think of whole of last year, we got very cold ground tempertures last spring and followed by a roasting hot summer. As you would in central europe. But on the bright side the fungi harvest was as good as you get in central europe as well.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Floyd Soul said:
Theres definitely been strange weather this year I reckon. Very little cold weather, mostly just wetter and windy.

The main thing I've noticed is how early the plants are budding out.

My wife's pampas grass flowered, for the first time in13 years, just before Christmas.
Weird.
Also, the frogs arrived back in the pond earlier this week. That's about a month early. Did you know frogs are anti carcogenic? Well, for my son they are. He is only allowed to smoke outside of the house and he hates frogs. When they are here he smokes less.
There are loads of upsides to global warming :0)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I am not sure I believe in global warming,I think that its more than likely a natural cycle that the earth goes through.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
CLEM said:
I am not sure I belive in global warming,I think that its more than likely a natural cycle that the earth goes through.

There is a natural cycle, but we've ****** that up as well.

Mar 1, 2007
North Wales, UK.
dommyracer said:
There is a natural cycle, but we've ****** that up as well.

I think global warming is really only a catalyst to our own natural cycle. We've either speeded it up or messed it up a bit. I really wouldn't blame "global warming" on every change we're seeing...it's natural, but we're not helping.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
When ice that has been frozen for hundreds of thousands of years starts to melt, one must question why. We won't know for sure if its a natural cycle for another half a million years or so. By then, if its not a natural cycle, we won't be around to find out. What is the old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Taking steps to curb greenhouse gases or to bring them back to "normal" levels would surely help. Doing nothing however will only hurt in the longrun.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
andyn said:
Shouldn't it be getting hotter if its Global warming :p :confused:

I belive the expert prediction for the UK is that we become Norway. This is espically true if the mid-atlantic current stops, this is main reason we are not like Norway now.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive yet to make up my mind.That said even if global warming is a myth everyone should do their bit to help the enviroment as a matter of course throughout their/our daily lives.This is something Ive allways believed in since I was a small boy.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I think the problem is that it's oh so convenient for people to argue that global warming isn't really an issue - so they don't have to feel selfish/stupid when they fail to do anything to change their bloated lifestyles and actually reduce their impact on the planet.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Personally, I don't think that Global Warming is man made as a result of air pollution or the "Greenhouse Effect." I'm sure that that is a factor, but that it's not at all signifigant. I agree with Clem in that's a natural cycle that the earth goes through. Look at earth's history, we had an ice age and in time it passed. Perhaps we've moving slighly closer to the sun in an elliptical orbit and if that's true, then I'm sure that the cycle will end eventually. Maybe not in our lifetime but maybe in the next generation or two.

Adam

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Ahh, its nice to see that we are all worried about the adverse effects that the planet is displaying. However, could you all ensure that we keep aircraft flying as this is helping to offset a really big part of the problem. :bluThinki
Global dimming. Goes something like this............. we worry about global warming, however, as there is a hole in the ozone layer ( not sure of this years size) there is also a thinning throughout of the planets ozone layer. This means an increase of the uv rays (solar heat gains) getting through, but rather than them reaching the surface and heating up or destroying etc...(insert own private crusade) :cussing: the UV A+B are somewhat filtered by the **** that aircraft spew out in the relevant atmosphere at whatever layer/ sphere they go through. This heats up the upper atmosphere rather than down here.
So if this stops, it wont be long before there isn't enough polar ice cap to put in the anti global sceptics friday afternoons G&T. Now that's a bit more scary. And to think I just brought a new life into the world in november. :eek:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I don't really care if there's global warming or not.. It's just an excuse, we need to focus on taking better care of the earth, not what to blame.

We stop polluting, and there's global warming, what happens? The earth heals.

We stop polluting, and there's actually no global warming, what happens? Nothing really, but the planet is alot cleaner.

A win-win situation really..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE