If You Went Down To The Woods Last Night...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
To catch the layer of the rabbit dung I spied, I employed my latest acquisition. A Trail Camera. (Write up here)

The culprit was captured;

But the other results were intriguing;

A Fox? A Deer perhaps?

A rather Ghostly behind...(right hand side)

Tonight I will re-site the camera so that subjects are caught approaching rather than across.

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
Had a scan for tracks, not easy with the fresh leaf fall.
I have seen a deer for a while but I saw a large Roe down there probably nibbling on the coppiced ash shoots.
I'm fairly certain it was a fox now, take a gander at this.

A Comparison;

http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk/Design/Assets/images/Red-Fox.jpg

Very similar. The ears confirm it for me.

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
After a couple of no shows, and following the recommendation of another trail cam owner to utilise the burst mode, I got Mr Fox on camera!

What intrigues me most is the timing of his incursion. Last time it was 20:18 with the rabbit photographed at 01:02.

The time stamp puts this latest one at 01:40. Very close to the time his prey was about.
My musing is this, was Mr Fox able to determine an approximate time to expect his meal from the rabbit faeces?

Most pleasing were these snaps;

Delicious.

Guess where my 'old faithful' TX200 and I will be lurking approximately 15:11 tomorrow!

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
After hunting a pheasant, the parts that are currently beyond my needs and uses were 'offered to the woodland gods'.

I'm tempted to leave this Camera strapped to the Christmas tree!

[video=youtube_share;kgIzPvGrxXs]http://youtu.be/kgIzPvGrxXs[/video]

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... Mr Fox on camera! ... The time stamp puts this latest one at 01:40. Very close to the time his prey was about. My musing is this, was Mr Fox able to determine an approximate time to expect his meal from the rabbit faeces?

Remembering back to my childhood (in the 50s) when my uncle used to take me out in the woods for night-watching animals he used to say the predators could tell a lot from the faeces they sniffed. It make makes sense to me. What do modern-day trackers think?

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
Remembering back to my childhood (in the 50s) when my uncle used to take me out in the woods for night-watching animals he used to say the predators could tell a lot from the faeces they sniffed. It make makes sense to me. What do modern-day trackers think?

The more I study foxes, the more fascinated I am. Humbled too!

Whilst I may find my evidence strong and compelling, that instance could be viewed as 'luck'.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

It's a form of communication for them, urine too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE