Identifying trees in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Was wondering if anyone has a foolproof guide to IDing trees in winter? I'm not particularly good at IDing trees (even during the summer) but was wondering if there was a good online resource or suggest a book that I could look at to help (maybe one that covers summer too ......... just a good tree book in general!?)?

I did a quick google search but couldn’t find anything comprehensive? I understand its all to do with bark and bud shape/placement ......

Any help much appreciated.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i've got a reall ygood book that will help with this trouble is it's a t home and i'm at work will edit this post later and add all the details

Edit: this is the book i use it's very good and very concise it is supposed to be the most complete tree reference in the uk

James

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
wolf said:
i try to learn them by sight in the summer,then its a bit easier in the winter. ;)

Yes I agree. Tree ident is one of my (many) weak spots and an area I need to improve on. Jdlenton it would be great if you could post the details when you get home :) . In the mean time I found this book (Guide to the Identification of Deciduous Broad-Leaved Trees and Shrubs in Winter) ...... sounds perfect but I'd prefer to use a book someone has actually tried and tested.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Tree identification is perhaps where I am very best in bushcraft. I mostly can identify the specie of a tree from kilometres away. Wolf has a point. If you don't know the specie in the summer, it is hard to learn it in the winter.

Try to identify them from a distance and test if you are correct when you come closer. Working with the different woods, will make you examine them more or less intentionally and you will learn about bark-texture osv.

When I identify trees I think this is the way I do it:
1. If from a distance I take a view of the canopy and identify the trees by the shape, colours and density of the canopy. Learn some of the species easiest identifiable in wintertime: ash, birch and elm f.i.
2. When I get closer, the texture of the bark is normally the first I look at.
3. If that didn't help, I look at the leaves.

I find looking at the texture of the bark faster than having to pinpoint a leaf in the green mass.

Hope that was of any use.

Torjus Gaaren

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
I couldn't name you a specific book or resource, but if one exists then ideally it should contain pictures or descriptions of the leaf buds. The buds are the definitive way of IDing a tree in winter, although overall shape is helpful too.

So, for example, you could identify horse chestnut by its large sticky buds; you could identify ash by its black triangular buds; you could identify beech by its pointy cigar-shaped buds. The list goes on and on.

Ben

torjusg said:
Tree identification is perhaps where I am very best in bushcraft. I mostly can identify the specie of a tree from kilometres away. Wolf has a point. If you don't know the specie in the summer, it is hard to learn it in the winter.

Try to identify them from a distance and test if you are correct when you come closer. Working with the different woods, will make you examine them more or less intentionally and you will learn about bark-texture osv.

When I identify trees I think this is the way I do it:
1. If from a distance I take a view of the canopy and identify the trees by the shape, colours and density of the canopy. Learn some of the species easiest identifiable in wintertime: ash, birch and elm f.i.
2. When I get closer, the texture of the bark is normally the first I look at.
3. If that didn't help, I look at the leaves.

I find looking at the texture of the bark faster than having to pinpoint a leaf in the green mass.

Hope that was of any use.

Torjus Gaaren
yes torjus has a point,if you want to find a tree go outside the woods if you can,try get some height so you can look down onto the woods,from outside you can pick out the different trees alot easier. ;) if you can try to draw the tree then you take in the detail much more in your mind. ;)

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
Thought I'd point you to this from 'Woodsmoke's' Web site under hints and tips!!

'LEAF BUDS....A POEM FOR WINTER'

On the chestnut buds you’ll stick
Buds of beech are sharp and *****!
Buds of ash are always put
on the shoot as black as soot.
In a jumble oak buds grow
a most untidy twig they show.
Reddish brown are buds of plane.
On the elm twigs look again
see the leaf buds small and brown
growing up the twigs and down.
Flower buds you’ll see as well.
Brown and bead-like as they swell.
Buds of sycamore show green
a big one at the top is seen.
But small down the twig they grow.
Lime buds ruby red will glow.
Poplar buds in single line
down the twig in crimson shine.
Thus may all the trees be known
in winter by their buds alone.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Identifying trees in winter is one of my favorite outdoor activities! Very easy to do if you have a good twig key. Not sure what you have in the UK but these are some of the books I use here in the US. I can also strongly recommend Winter Botany by William Trelease.

treebooks1.jpg

When skiing or snowshoeing in the woods, I will often spend lots of time keying out twigs. If it is really cold, I will snip a twig off and if I can find a clinging seed and/or leaf, I will toss it all in a brown paper bag, scribble a note or two on it and toss it in the pack, then key it out when I get home. Recently a good friend has motivated me to start a little twig drawing book. Lots of fun and a good way to learn trees in winter!

acernigrum1b.jpg

David Moulds

May 3, 2005
Belfast N.Ireland
There is a good site on the BBC nature website i found it very helpful as it shows you the different types of buds to be looking for on different trees, there is also a good page on animal tracks if you are intrested.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I've lived in the woods all my life, and while I know our local trees very well, I still have problems between red oak and maple in winter. When we are setting out taps to make sugar in the early spring (snow still on the ground), I've started to tap a red oak more than once. Once the drill bites the bark, I can tell by the odor. At a certain age they are very similar in appearance. Once the snow goes, it is fairly obvious, even before the advent of leaves, due to the duff and acorns on the ground around the tree. Certain basswoods (linden) also look similar to maple

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE