Identifying a Brades Axe Head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
So, today I was very pleasently suprised to discover a package containing an axe head made by Brades, which I bought only 3 days ago on Ebay.

It's seen better days, but I'm more than happy. I am especially happy because it turns out that my Grandad and Great Grandad worked for Brades up until they were taken over by Spear and Jackson in '57. The idea that this axe head could have passed through their hands is thrilling, as I never knew either of them. A new family heirloom, that's for sure.

Anyway, There are a couple of stamp marks, though I'll have to clean it up a bit to get a better look. But I can't find any list of markings to help work out what type of axe this is and what year it may have been made.

Here's the listing, with 11 pictures

I know very little about this type of thing, so any help identifying this axe would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
Thank you both, when I've cleaned it up I'll get onto that group and I'm already checking out that catalogue, awesome, thanks.

EDIT:
I've given it a bit of a scrub and I can make out what appears to be "No1 - 1.2LBS"

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE