Ideas For 2-3 man tent. for me and the little man.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JIMMY2EGGS

Nov 24, 2009
bristol
Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain as I know there are lots of threads for tent selection, but I wanted to know of any tents you thought might be suitable.

Its to take my 3 1/2year old son on his first camping trip, but I would also like to use out and about when I'm out with my fellow bushcrafters. I have'nt got a hamock yet as I think it would be quite difficult with someone so small!

So all for under £100.00 with maybe a small porch just for the 2 of us?

I've been looking at the Coleman Coastline Plus Two Man Tent at about £50.00 but I think it maybe a little long in a wooded situation.

I've also looked at the hex 3 but well out of my price range!

Is it just better just to pick up a cheap tent and save the money for a better tent down the line when the little man is more used to it.

What do you think?

Many thanks guys for taking your time in reading this thread.

Cheers jimmy.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
what you need is to go round a car boot, you dont need anything fancy at this stage.

I have several tents for different situations.

And yes, a porch is a good idea, shame many of these fancy ones lack them!

I have never had trouble using tents in woods

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Have a look at the Coleman Crestline 3 man tent. Can be had on Amazon for £41 with free delivery. At 4.3kg it's not really a backpacking tent, unless there's 2-3 of you. Were you wanting something more lightweight?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Richard is spot on with his recommendation of the Juno 500. Its only disadvantage is the sloping door but this can be easily overcome by rigging a 3 x 3 tarp off the suspension loop, to give you a huge porch area, as shown here;

DSCN4349.JPG

j500_3mtarp.JPG

j500_3mtarp_a.JPG

ps. If you (or anyone else) is interested I have a Juno 500 in blue polyester for disposal. PM me.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you can run to it get a Kyham Biker. Light, quick to erect, cooking porch and a 3 man that refuses to be blown down (and I've seen them still standing when everything around them has flattened). http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KHYAM-BIKER-B...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item2a085c9318
Occasionally on ebay 2nd hand.
If you're only going to be in the woods so wind's not an issue, I bought one from Lidls a few years ago that you just pull 2 strings and it pops up. You then put the fly sheet on. No porch though unfortunately

Last edited:

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Tesco are doing a 2 man dome tent for a tenner. Link My brother picked one up last year for going to T in the Park and I was expecting it to have fallen apart by now but it is still going strong. I left it out in the Garden last week, when the rain was torrential and the high winds, and was expecting it to be flooded after a couple of days but there was only a little bit of water at the entrance from the zip. I'd maybe get that and pick up a 3x3m tarp from Decathlon for £20, with which you could make your own porch and would give you other options too, including extra cover for the tent if you're worried about it standing up to a sustained downpour. All in about 3 kilos (if you ditch the tarp poles) and £30.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm a big fan of Vango tents old and new, their range over the last couple of years has really come on and they seem to have a model for all needs.

If you want something that will last you twenty years then look at their Force Ten range, for some gentle family camping then there's plenty to look at.

http://www.vango.co.uk/

No connection just a happy customer for over twenty or so years :)

JIMMY2EGGS

Nov 24, 2009
bristol
Many thanks for all your ideas guys it really helped. I went for the vango 500 like most of you said. I think a lot more room and fun for the little man to get into camping. So a big thank you to bilmo-p5 for a great bargin you made a little man and his dad very happy.

Cheers Guys

Jimmy2eggs + mini eggs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE