I was desperate and without a shop... so green lantern was born

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I gave into temptaion..... :(

having no workshop makes making a scandi a little more difficult using the mthods that i use.

So as i was merrilly surfing the brisa site this little devil popped up on me shoulder and told me to do it... i couldn't resit it soooooo

I made a full tang :O

Tis is a skinner blade from brisa with pins supplied by them.... sad to say i do not think they are as good as clclucklow makes them though.

The scales slabes ( damn handle bits!!) are curly birch coloured in 14 layers in green, olive green, yellow spirit and yellow waterbased dyes.

this is not finished yet, it is only at 400 grit and will need another baking, andother layering then sanding to 2500 grit before oiling.. Then there is sheathing. It needs a clean up too

I found it realatively fun to make, and much easier than a scandi shaft it the truth be known. The shapind was done with a file and a knife, no saw and definately no power tools.

Comments welcome. If anyone can lighten the picture to show it properly then please do. i tried to scan it in then adjust... but it is past me.

greenlantern.jpg

So my first attempt at a full tang?

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Excellent work Dave, I don't think I've ever seen a handle in those shades before.

It appears to be very well balanced / proportioned. Can't wait to see it finished with it's sheath.

So, is this one a keeper or are you going to sell it? :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work :notworthy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm not very good at this but here's a mod of the pic. Tough pic to modify for me. Would love to see a better pic of it.

greenlantern2.jpg

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Thanks hoodoo. The oic sort of drains the colour though, much more fun i real life. i was experimenting with different colours, I do the fires of hell but they get a bit boring to do sometimes...

So i thought i'd spice it up a bit.

As for whether it will be a keeper.... no

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
erm i can make the handle show up even better....but erm but i've never posted a pic before :eek: (if u've got photoshop (cs) take original "sharpen" 3 times in the "filter" menu, then times then in "edit" menu "fade sharpen" to 60%)

seriously nice colours tho....i'd like to see a flamer :morpheus:

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
scruff said:
erm i can make the handle show up even better....but erm but i've never posted a pic before :eek:

seriously nice colours tho....i'd like to see a flamer :morpheus:

Have a look for the smouldering ember thread here on bcuk

as for the pic well save it on your host and then wrap it in

if not send me a pm with the url link and i'll do it.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Still can't get the scanner to work properly but i managed to get a better shot of the wood.

The finish is mat at the moment but the colours are real. I expect a 3d effect when i have oiled it.

woodshot.jpg

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
BTTT with some decent pictures.

The first is the belly side.

ff493fc0.jpg

The second is the normal side view. There is glue on the blade that will naturally be cleaned off.

8ceaf324.jpg

And the last is a top view. The black on the tip of the blade is.. well i don't know, but the whole thing bneeds cleaning up so i am guessing it will disappear.

NOTE i thinned the butt end down a lot. i did it to make the knive sit nicely in the hand and to make a change from the usual flared contoured knife.

top.jpg

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
g4ghb said:
Luuuuuverly! :D - how do you do the colours Dave? :confused:

I could tell you but then i am afraid i would have to kill you......

To be honest the colouring I do s the only thing that seperates my knives from the mass of others out there on the market... so without meaning to offend, I am not telling! :eek:

Seriously though, i get asked that a lot and to be honest

The colours are mixed, layered and baked before being sanded and rebaked again.

The fires pattern i do takes around 40 hours of shaping, colouing and finish....

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
I'm sure even the new pictures don't do it justice, Dave. It looks absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see what else you produce if you pursue the full tang route.

:You_Rock_

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Ohh i have plans......

I need some names ( a links topictures ) to superheros though. Not just batman, spiderman or superman ( although the last could be fun...)

makes colouring more fun. Besides straight forward full tangs are relatively easy.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Not offended in the least Dave! :) think it looks ace however it's done.:You_Rock_

Is kinda like those cool sculptures carved from ply but better! - come to think of it seem to remember seing a tv bit of some blokes house that was essentially carved plywood - anyone see this / know if there is anything on the web?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
btw in answer to your question.... not a super hero but on the green theme - the Green Goblin seems a natural choice ;)

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
i have a couple of different greens i could use although i would need yellow too.... secret ingredient that.....

I can do these in petty much any coour you want, up to about 5 or 6 depending on the contrast in coloir and in the wood. I even have shocking pink....

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
leon-1 said:
That's nice Dave.

One suggestion, don't ever do a bushcraft knife in shocking pink, you could end up with a lynch mob at your door and possibly Jack with a Billhook that he wants re-handled:D

was thinking shocking pink interwoven with signal red and black for example?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE