I tested the F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Having read debates about the F1, I decided to try the F1. I borrowed it from a mate. (didn't know he had one and was planning to buy one first.) So here's the review:

Blade:

I like the shape of the blade. I've got a few BRKT knives so I'm familiar with convex grinds. In fact like them a lot. I noticed the F1 had a small secondary bevel. Not to my taste. My friend didn't like it either, so we removed it. The VG10 isn't all that difficult to sharpen imho.
The blade is too thick for my taste. I think the angle of the grind is too acute.

Fuzzsticks:
Did a fair job although the thick blade made it more difficult to control. I then used my BRKT Huntsman, which is about the same thickness, and it felt a lot better. I think the only reason for this is a better geometry.

Carving:
Horrible! I'm used to convex edges, but this one didn't work at all for me! I found it very hard to control. Not like my Snowy river.

Food preperation:
It did ok. Didn't have any problems cutting meat. It did split carots however.

Batoning:
Well the F1 is a beast! I had no problems splitting willow and birch. Edge was in great shape afterwards.

Handle:

I don't like it. The termorun handle feels slippery and too much hot spots. The handle is too thin for me. Perhaps it's better to buy a blade blank? Don't know.

Sheath:

It had a leather fold-over sheath. Good quality.

Conclusion:

This knife is below average imo. It doesn't do anything great except batoning. Some people will probably like it, but I don't. Perhaps if Fallkniven would change their geometry and make the handle a bit thicker, I would like it. Now I don't. I'd take a scandi or a BRKT over an F1 anytime.

Michiel

leon-1

I have made custom verions of the F1. I use one myself all the time. It is very much a horses for courses type of knife, but it is one of the best production blades that I have come across.

If you do not like the grind reprofile it, believe me it is worth the trouble to do so, if you do not believe me if you are at the bushmoot ask me if you can use mine (I will keep a watchful eye as it is my knife), but they are far from below par.

I have been using the F1 and the H1 for a number of years and they are far superior to many of the others I have had the use of, this is only my opinion, but in the correct hands the F1 is one of the best cutting tools you can buy.

I have a Bark River which they failed to produce the knife they promised and that I asked for, if you don't like the knife as it is buy the blade blank and do with it and the handle as you wish. You will end up with a tool that suites you and not what the manufacturer thinks you want.

As far as fuzzsticks are concerned there are no worries, nor are there prep for anything else, all you have to do is reprofile the blade a little.

There is nothing wrong with the knife, just as in the old days they would make the tool suite the job, now people are too lazy to do the work, yes they are quite expensive, but you get a lot of knife for the expense, use it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its interesting to read michiels views. I feel much as he does about the F1 - I just don't get on with it. That said, I have seen the results in other peoples hands and they do great stuff with it. So, with great respect to Leon, I disagree. There are a whole world of knives out there, different knives suit the needs and styles of different users. If you don't like it (and I don't) pass it on to someone who does and get yourself a knife you like.

A lot of it depends on your intended uses and the way you grip and hold and sharpen a knife. I actually don't hate convex (although I always rag that I do). The gentle convex on BRKTs is very different to Falknivens and since I often field sharpen my scandys and can't be bothered doing it a la bench stone, they get a gentle convex. It doesn't stress me on some knives - on others (my Axelsson and the PFK) I maintain a true zero grind on. Its really just working out what you want from the knife and what suits you.

The F1 is not what I want from a knife - or you michiel from the sound of it. It works well in Jon's hands and Leon's too from the sound of it. That's okay.

Since its things like the geometry and handle that are uncomfortable in our hands, I suggest its not worth pursuing and more fruitful to pursue something that works for us.

I think its okay not to agree on tools - glad to have another member of the ""not for me" camp :D

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Nice review Michiel. I just broke the tip off my Brusletto (unlocked my gun cabinet at silly o'clock yetrday morning - the cabinets is in our bedroom!!!! - the door would not open, tried the locks a dozen times...pulled like a mad thing on the key....nothing, reached for the knife, wedged in and levered the door open and took a few mil off the tip in the process - believe me SWMBO didn't approve of all the metalic clanging and lumping about at 04:30) so maybe looking for a £40 -£70 knife.

Have I missed the F1/ PFK duel?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
The f1 would make a supurb gun cabinate opener! :D

I am going to try thinning the convex on one and see how it works

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
You guys are right about reprofiling. It would make it a lot better. However, it's not my own knife so I can't do that. The handle would still be bad.
I'm a person who thinks a knife should be good to use out of the box. Maybe after some sharpening. This knife failed me. Maybe I'll buy a blank, reprofile it and handle it myself.
So the conclusion: I don't like the standard F1, but maybe I can make it better.

Michiel

leon-1

I don't like the standard F1, but maybe I can make it better.

Michiel

That's more the point mate, the standard F1 I find the handle to narrow which makes it awkward to work with. I had been reasonably happy working with it as normal, with my own handle shape, but then my brother asked me to rehandle his F1, he had re-profiled his and there is a marked difference in performance. I reprofiled mine with quite an aggressive edge (it's about a 17 degree bevel), it withstands batoning carving and all other camp chores without any problem even though it is quite a severe reprofile.

leon-1

Oh that's the other thing, if you don't like the handle on the standard F1 try it with a heavy glove on, it does make a hell of a difference. Unfortunately I have no requirement here to wear a heavy glove whenever I am out and about.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We did do a few "online" challenges showing various feathersticks etc. cut with the two knives. It got silly since we could both fo almost anything we wanted :). We may well continue of course in the name of silliness when Jon pops round next!

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
All good contests should be done in the name of silliness.

I enjoyed this one - it only lacked the soundtrack of raspberries being blown.

I'm looking forward to round two. I think we could get challenges set by the viewers.......

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Already dinked mine :(

I was battoning though and to be fair that was something Stu and I discussed that the grind angle was too steep for - but it had to be tried :eek:

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good question spam! Err to see if I could...even though I knew I'd designed it too acute..because I listened to the voices!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE