I just can't do it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Like AJB, I'm not terribly good at sharpening my knife, but having read all the advice in this thread (thanks to you all for your excellent advice\tips), I finally plucked up the courage at the weekend to have a go at sharpening my AW Woodlore for the first time. I was reasonably happy with the results but have a couple of questions:

1. After a few goes on the stones I noticed that the only parts of the blade that appeared to be getting any contacted with the stone was right on the edge and at the point where the bevel stops. Does this mean the bevel is slightly convex? Is it safe to keep going and evetually end up with a 'proper' single, flat bevel?

2. What technique do you employ for sharpening the very end of the blade? Obviously as the blade curves at the end, do you need to raise your hand slightly to maintain contact with the stone? Or do you work on that part of the blade seperately? It seems pretty easy to do the main part of the blade as it is a nice uniform shape, but I noticed the bevel at the end of the blade wasn't looking too good after a few goes!

Thanks again,

Mat

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
A cheaper alternative to buying stones is to stick "wet and dry" or other abrasive paper onto a piece of stiff flat wood, metal or plastic. Then use as you would a stone. A good variety of grades are available. You can make them any size or shape you want and you can try sharpening by holding the knife still and moving the abrasive over the knife.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Just out of curiosity I have seen loads of "keyring" sharpeners like some of the ones mentioned in this topic that you just run the blade between the gap a few times and it sharpens it.

Are any of these a reasonable tool to use in the field if your using a bench stone at home?

The one mentioned previously in the topic at X-sharp was no good coz it caused a double bevel but are there any on the market that are suitable?

I'm asking as, as a novice i'm still trying to master my use of a bench stone and find a DC4 a little too small to get a sharp finish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE