I hate paypal!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have recently come to the conclusion that paypal sucks! All that confirmation here and there. I'm not interested in faxing them my personal info. Man, I don't even have a fax machine!

Today there was another form in my mail. Lots of things I need to find out, which I don't even know what is. And they never answer any mails I send!

:AR15firin :cussing: :soapbox: :aargh4: :rant:

Anyone any experience with this service?: http://www.e-gold.com/ Someone recommended it.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I've only had lovely experiences so far with PayPal but I was surprised to learn
that when I made a donation to a favourite website my full name and postal
address was included. It wasn't a problem in this case but I might not want my
address made available in all situations of course. There was another thread
on this sort of topic which mentioned how to allow or prevent your address from
going through <goes off to find it>:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=20544

They've never asked me to fax anything though...

Mine's not a business account though, maybe that's the difference?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I try never to use pay pal - pal indeed! - as I have concerns, based on friends' experiences with this "service".
But then I don't do evilbay either!
John

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
You may want to be absolutely certain that it is Paypal requestingthe information. There have been a lot of scams with scammers sending "paypal update your information" requests.
If your not certain or you dont lnow why they are asking for the information, forward the email to paypal (the official site) and request confirmation its from them. There should be a link on their sites for "fraudulent email" advice
Ive recieved these from people saying they are ebay and/or paypal.

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
torjusg said:
I have recently come to the conclusion that paypal sucks! All that confirmation here and there. I'm not interested in faxing them my personal info. Man, I don't even have a fax machine!

Not an advocate of the service, they sell themselves as a bank, but dont have any of the customer protection and seem very hard to talk to. I would much rather deal with Visa, Mastercard or my own UK bank.

Hell, I would rather go back to bartering, and dont get me started on Chip and Pin !!!!!

I guess its like all things, when it works its fine, but when you get an issue, they the systems just dont seem very easy to use, but again seem pretty easy to abuse if you have the time etc...

c

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
The customer service of Paypal is a disgrace! If you want to contact them you have to go through a stupid email system which is basically a glorified FAQ - If your query doesn’t fit into any of their categories they set out, it is almost impossible to contact them.

The last time I dealt with them their postal address was not available. How the UK Financial Services Authority can authorise a financial institution which is not contactable is beyond me.

check out:
http://www.paypalsucks.com

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I've never had a problem with PayPal, and use it fairly frequently for my eBay transactions, both as buyer and seller. I don't like giving out personal information, but when it comes to monetary transactions involving relatively anonymous individuals over a non-personal interface like the internet, it's unavoidable. Of course, I've never had reason to contact their customer service, so that might be why I've never had a bad experience. :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I also find it odd that PayPal want you to fax them something. I'd investigate the matter by emailing a known PayPal address and querying this request if I were you.

I've had a PayPal account for many years, in fact I opened it when it was only US based, and I've never had a problem. I have upgraded it to the full business account and all my queries have been dealt with efficiently. In fact I emailed them on a Sunday and, to my surprise, I had a personal reply the same day.

I'm sure there are dissatisfied customers but then they do have a massive international customer base so there are bound to be a few glitches in the system.

I've never had to fax them anything either.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
JohnC said:
You may want to be absolutely certain that it is Paypal requestingthe information. There have been a lot of scams with scammers sending "paypal update your information" requests.
If your not certain or you dont lnow why they are asking for the information, forward the email to paypal (the official site) and request confirmation its from them. There should be a link on their sites for "fraudulent email" advice
Ive recieved these from people saying they are ebay and/or paypal.

I have never used paypal and dont intend but beware of any request for detials via email as most are scams. When I look at what my spam filter has picked up most it is for details from banks I do not use.
ALWAYS THINK SPAM FIRST! :eek: be sure before replying.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
John Fenna said:
I try never to use pay pal - pal indeed! - as I have concerns, based on friends' experiences with this "service".
But then I don't do evilbay either!
John
Totally agree John. I wouldn't use PayPal either. I have heard a lot of bad things about its security and given the 'cleverness'of some hackers etc these days I wouldn't trust ebay either. :eek:

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
I have been waiting for 4 weeks for paypal to put a deposit into my bank so i can finish setting it up i need to make a payment for a knife that was auctioned on BCUK not happy :buttkick: sorry TMKTC will sort soon hope the knife is still there :beerchug:

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
dommyracer said:
I've used PayPal extensively for the past 5/6 years, never had a problem with it.

Me neither, and I've used the customer service. While it is a pain to make contact I've been happy that the service works.
How do so many people have such strong opinions about things that they profess not to use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE