I Did It!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Sorry but I have got to tell somebody
I DID IT, twenty minutes ago I finally got fire from bow and drill :D

Birch hearth
Birch knot socket
Hazel spindle
Chain saw/strimmer starter cord
Hollow metal tube as bow

I did this in my garden so I was short of a bow so I cut and shaped a small metal pipe (about 5mm) to shape threaded the cord through and tied the two ends together I know it's cheating but it was good practise for the real thing which is tomorrows task :D

I must say that I have never felt such pride and satisfaction when that little flicker of flame burst into life I lit my fag from it sat in my chair chest puffed up and a grin from ear to ear. :cool:

Now I just have to take the washing of the line and wash away the smell of smoke before "she who must be obayed" gets home :eek:

This was only possible for me by spending hours and hours on this site picking up tips and tricks from the masters so a great big CHEERS to you all.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Congrats it is a great feeling.

I haven't done it in a while (yes i am ashamed) but this weekend I hoping to help my brother inlaw out and make some charcloth as well. So I'll keep you posted.

I would'nt say using metal tubing as cheating it's still Bushcraft you used the resources available.

Again congrats.

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Fantastic stuff :D It's a great achievement and we know how you're feeling ;) Now you just need to build on that, do more with that set and start using other sets until you've got it down pat.

Well done mate :D

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Well done, what I've found is you only need the ember to light a fag for a smoke. Then you've got a way of keeping the ember and transporting it for a while. In fact I wonder if Fags / cigars were developed from the bumdles of leaves that some tribes used to carry their fire with?

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Thanks for the encouragment folks. I did not manage to get into the woods today to try it with a wooden bow so I will try again on the weekend :D

what I've found is you only need the ember to light a fag for a smoke
I learned to use tinder and a firesteel through smoking, I used the ember from my fag to practise coal to flame and after I had mastered that that I then started on the firesteel.

I know deliberately don't carry a lighter to work so when I am miles out on the estate I have no choice but to use whats around me to get a smoke. It usually involves my firesteel and searching out cramp balls or my fav dried grass seed stalks. the next challenge for me is to drop the firesteel and take my new found friend the bow and drill :cool:

I also tempted to buy the flint and steel lister here on bcuk as there does does not seem to be any flint here in south wales :( and this is another skill I wish to master.

cheers all once again!!

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Well done Maverick

Last Saturday I taught an explorer group in Trowbridge fire by friction. Eleven tried, and I had success with six of them. I am going back next month on a mission to get the other five succeeding.

I have to say it is a long time ago since I first started fire by friction but I can still remember that feeling and I still get that feeling when I see somebody else do it for the first time.

Keep it up!

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE