Hunting Rabbits with Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Seen this on youtube before. That was one of the reasons why i thought cattys would be good for huning small creatures for the pot. Obviously he's been shooting with cattys all his life, but it means they can be very accurate with plenty practice :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
well the 6 ft/lb limit means that unless you hit a rabbit dead in the brain then it will leg it to bleed and suffer in its warren and you'd have to be within 15 yards to have a snowflakes hope in hell of hitting it. next to useless as a hunting tool

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
well the 6 ft/lb limit means that unless you hit a rabbit dead in the brain then it will leg it to bleed and suffer in its warren and you'd have to be within 15 yards to have a snowflakes hope in hell of hitting it. next to useless as a hunting tool

Offhand or with any available aids? I agree offhand shooting a pistol is tricky but once you start leaning on a handy fencepost or take a pair of cross-sticks...

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Offhand or with any available aids? I agree offhand shooting a pistol is tricky but once you start leaning on a handy fencepost or take a pair of cross-sticks...

its not responsible to hut with a pistol for the reasons i've already described air pistols should be kept for target shooting

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
its not responsible to hut with a pistol for the reasons i've already described air pistols should be kept for target shooting

I think we should leave this right here. The topic has been done to death on BCUK and is dragging the thread off topic.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Was really wondering if anyone was using catapults for hunting out there. Anyone has any favourite makes, or are home-made ones better, etc. I'm only starting out, so a rifle- even if i didnt have personal issues with that- is money wasted. At least until i figure out what my preferred pot- ingredient is, lol. So, if anyone out there uses a catapult i'd love to hear from them. I heard some folk use them for fishing too??? If thats true, how do you get the fish out the water? so many questions....any personal experiences out there?
Cheers
Ness :)

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I'm out of practice again now, but used a Black Widow in my teens to good effect. About fifteen years ago when I worked as groundsman for a rugby club we had a problem with pigeons fouling seats in the stands. The Widow was dusted off, replacement elastics bought, much practice later, problem solved.

As others have said, practice and more practice! Thirty yards is a pretty long shot for me fifteen or twenty much better.

This reminds me, I really should search through my Mum's attic as there should be a couple of Milbro's tucked away in a box there.

The Black Widow is good, but don't rule out a simple homemade job.

Al

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Did some some research on the tinterweb and did settle for a Black Widow. Just waiting for it to arrive and then try some different sized projectiles. Once i find a good size ball bearing- practice, practice and more practice.....

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Bells of Hythe do a lot of catty stuff (no affliiation etc) inc ammo. .44 lead is best for hunting. Practice with what ammo you will be hunting with.

Hang a doubled up sheet over a line, attach paper target, another sheet or similar underneath to catch the ammo and use this to practice. Or use a large cardboard box filled with old rags.

Steel balls work out expensive and you need the larger ones to hunt with - not easily available.

8m or 10m steel nuts are good up to 20 yards (max for catty hunting), even better if you can fill the caviities with lead. Screwfix do good deals for bulk nuts.

There are some good catty forums on the web full of lots of good info.
HTH

ukbushmonkey

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2010
Cambridge
I have tried this before but had no luck, it is more of a sport than an affective hunting tool if your not used to it, I would use my ferrets if I wanted quick lunch :) I want to know how to set snares, I have my own snared but have no idea where to start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE