Hunting and trapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
It very often depends on the "Policy" of the Chief Constable of the area and thats why the whole thing is unfair.

As a case in point North Wales Police will not grant me a .243Win for both deer and fox control; instead I have to have two rifles. Somebody i know who lives about 20 miles away under a different Police Force has a 25.06 for both deer and fox on the grounds he does not want to buy a second rifle. The irony is we both shoot on the same land...

The Police will also hold up an application simply because they don't like it. When I came to *renew* my FAC , by local bobby wanted to know why I simply did not stalk with some one else & borrow a rifle.

On the whole, I don't have much time for North Wales and gone are the days I would be happy to assist a Police Officer...these days I would look the other way I'm affraid.

Other Police Forces can be different; I was dealing with the Firearms Dept up in Aberdeen last year over a very controversal issue and they were very helpful and understanding...

Regards,

Pete

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
I hunt deer and turkey most years. Birds occassionally. I haven't trapped since I was a boy in High School. I shoot an occassional rabbit or squirrel (Sorry Squirrelboy) if I'm out for the day. I carry a .22 pistol for rabbits and squirrels, a 30/30 lever action or .357 magnum for deer and a 12 ga 870 pump for turkey and birds. I have never set a snare as there were always too many domestic animals in the area that wander about and I would be upset to snag one. I have seen falconers work and marvel at their skills. I have never seen anyone hunt with ferrets.
I feel sorry for you guys in the UK. I am also beginning to feel you guys distrust law enforcement in your country. A sad state of affairs. We have gun laws in America that prohibit certain people from owning or possessing guns. Normally those who are convicted of felony crimes or battering their spouse. If you do bad things you shouldn't be allowed a gun. However everyone else should be allowed if they so choose.

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
I would like that. My daughter and son-in-law had two ferrets for pets. Quite the theives they were. They would hid your shoes and steal anything you set down they took a fancy to.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Hunting and fishing are skills valid not only for bushcraft or wilderness survival, but modern urban life as well. I had finished my degree and still had a few months of veteran educational benefits. My local community college had been founded as an agrarian school after WW2 and still had a program. I took several courses, but poultry production was a real education. We went to a modern chicken processing plant in Los Angeles. Dante's Infernal was no more hellish. The more I learned about factory farming, genetically modified foods, excessive use of antibiotics and growth hormones, the Mad Cow Scare and the terrible ecological price of western meat consumption the less inclined I was to eat anything. I took up hunting again until organic, free range animals became available. I think everyone who consumes meat should slaughter at least one animal. There is a cultural disjoint between the plastic wrapped package of red food in the market and Watership Down. I've even seen this sad trend in vegetarians. I was on a organic farm with several activists harvesting donated vegetables. This one, very vocal vegan who held a mini inquisition when a Lakota showed up with buffalo was ripping the carrots out with the same callousness as a poacher. the Lakota elder and I looked at each other and just shook our heads.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi
since I moved to swedish Lapland I am taking part in a hunting shool and my plan is to start with some hunting next fall. The education here is real great and includes trapping too. I believe I am going to start a trapping line too snaring, Vulpes vulpes, Mustily vision and Nyctereutes procyonides for the fur and skin.
I am going to snare Lagopus mutus for the meat and go hunting with the rifle for Tetrao urogallus and a bunch of other forest chickens. I don't know if I will mange to hunt elk yet because here in sweden you have to join a hunting group and that is a kind of challenge if you are new in the village, lets see if they take me into the group. Otherwise I am going further down south hunting deer. All that will start next year fall if I manage the big examen I have to go through in spring.

cheers
Abbe
:chill:

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I'ts a ugly situation all around!!, the laws over here are becoming more foolish every year. I have been into crossbows for the last 5 or so years, but in oregon you can't legaly hunt deer or elk, niether bow or rifle season!!. I sometimes think goverments in general are like runaway trains and we're the passengers. heres something I've had good luck with over here, I carry 3 victor brand rat traps. only modifications I made was to coat wood with clearcoat, drill a hole in each corner about a inch in. there are alot of squirrels here and these traps are deadly . the holes allow you to tie them almost anywhere, they are light, but maybe a little bulky. a 35mm. film can filled with a mix of peanut butter and honey is the best bait i've found. a little on trigger and dinner is ussauly not long in coming.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
woodrat said:
heres something I've had good luck with over here, I carry 3 victor brand rat traps. only modifications I made was to coat wood with clearcoat, drill a hole in each corner about a inch in. there are alot of squirrels here and these traps are deadly . the holes allow you to tie them almost anywhere, they are light, but maybe a little bulky. a 35mm. film can filled with a mix of peanut butter and honey is the best bait i've found. a little on trigger and dinner is ussauly not long in coming.

Rat traps are very effective. Those twin-spring Victors (and similar) are much better than the single spring versions. I can see the sense in having some as part of a wilderness survival package: they're nice and compact and are very effective on small mammals. Good tip about varnishing them: waterproofs them and makes it easier to clean the blood off!

The trouble with rat traps baited with peanut butter is that they're deadly on small songbrds (here in the south of England). I discovered this trapping for rats inside our hay store a couple of years back. Unless well hidden in tunnels, they're too damned effective on great tits, etc. With the air rifle I can be completely selective.

Burnt ash

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The trouble with rat traps baited with peanut butter is that they're deadly on small songbrds (here in the south of England). I discovered this trapping for rats inside our hay store a couple of years back. Unless well hidden in tunnels, they're too damned effective on great tits, etc.

Yes, The traps should be put in tunnels (natural or artificial) so as to not catch anything you don't want. Actually its the law. You cannot set a trap where it may be sprung by a non target or protected species.

Ed

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
Paganwolf said:
If you have a criminal record,other than that i think you are within your rights to have one, they can make things hard for you if your pad is not upto scratch security wise but they make recomendations and you do them.

There is another thing that can prevent you obtaining a FAC, that is if your Dr's report states you are suffering from certain mental illness'. This won't prevent you obtaining a SGC as the questions aren't asked on the application.

You will have to show good reason for ownership as previously stated for a FAC and as such, the owning of fullbore rifles or higher powered air rifles is not your right to do so. Shotguns on the other hand you only have to have adequate security. We were discussing the ownership of rifles and shotguns at my local firearms dealer recently and it we came to the conclusion that to own a shotgun was your right, but, to own a fullbore rifle was a privelidge.
I shoot at least 3 times per week with legal limit air rifles doing pest control.

Dazz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE