Hunter Gatherer challenge with Wilderness Survival skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just over a week until I go off on this.
I know of a few folks going on it already wondered if anyone else was going?
or anyone who has attended in the past?
its a five day challenge where you have only the essentials and have to do everything for yourself solo no groups to work with. You also have to produce a hunting tool capable of taking a deer down (hypothetically before anyone says owt!)
Since ive been booked onto the course its really acted as a focus point for practicing/honing and in some cases completely learning new skills. Its also probably bored work colleagues friends family and Lisa to tears with it being one of the main topics of conversation the last few months (the other being my stag do which is also rapidly approaching)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good luck on this venture, what are you allowed and what is expected of you, shelter / fire etc, food and water to secure etc, can you say where it is being held.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like it'll be a rewarding venture, i can totally relate to boring the face of 'modern' people talking of the old ways and the importance of outdoor skills development (important to me i mean)

Good luck on this venture, what are you allowed and what is expected of you, shelter / fire etc, food and water to secure etc, can you say where it is being held.

Wiltshire.
Other that I dunno (well I do roughly but thats about it I'm getting a lift and as I'm doing a seven day stretch folllwed by 12 yr old party before the course i intend to sleep the whole way there)
Knife.
saw
cook pot.
millbank bag.
3m cordage.
FAK
headtorch.
sharpening kit.
small amount of venison (meat debt repaid by hunting tool manufacturing)
clothing all natural material no down/fleece/pertex/goretex
I'm also takin a non metal mug and my smokes
make shelter, fire lit without matches/lighter/sparkstick.forage food. Few other bits

expected well live first n foremost.
But live not just survive

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Good luck. I guess a hunting tool for large game like deer probably means a bow, does the rules state it has to be a weapon and not a trap/snare instead, personally I think snares and traps would be far more productive in supplying meat (and again hypothetically of course) and they work while you’re doing other things including sleeping, unless you are as good with a bow as the legendary archer Howard Hill that is. Have a nice time.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I went on their foraging course a couple of years ago and it was great. It is quite near me and I pass it quite often so if you need directions just shout Sam.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
That sounds like a very hard challenge. Not to be under estimated. I will follow this very closely. Are you allowed a sleep system?? I did an over nighter and it was chilly even with modern kit. Staying warm could be hard. Are you allowed an axe?

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Sounds like a great experience. Would love to do something like that one day, need the skill set first though.

Will have to look for your previous report and look forward to reading this one

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Would a bolas count as a suitable hunting tool? What about spear + thrower? Am curious now what option you'll go with.

Looking forward to your write up. Good luck!

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE