How would you use it...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
We were talking about random outside the box type survival tools and thought we'd turn it into a game. What could you do with a...
-credit card
-discarded .22 casing
-house key
...each seperately or together.

HAVE FUN!

Darrel

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Darrel, wow what a great idea, alternative uses for common household stuff,
The first item (credit card) eludes me at the moment, but I wouldn't discard it.
The .22 casing could beturned into an eyelet either for repairing your boots or for making a sliding snare - I've made eyelets by tapping .22 cases over hobnails which slowly opens up the ends till they curl around on themselves.
The house key could be abraded sharp and ued as an arrow point.

What other uses are folk considering......

ATB

Ogri the trog

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Credit card - call in a pizza
Discarded shell - to make an 'oh-so-clever-statement-about-war' type necklace pendant
House Key - to let myself in so my mummy can make me a hot chocolate with biccies.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
credit card can be used as a scrapper, hide, ice etc etc not very hard wearing though. Could also be used as a eating utensil, does quite well with chicken fried rice (yes i have no class or style):lmao:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you bend a credit card 'til it snaps it makes a very sharp edge,always handy.
An empty .22 casing placed between the fleshy part of two fingers near the knuckle and the open end facing inwards makes a loud whistle when blown.
I'll have to think about the key for a while,but I have used them as screwdrivers and tin openers.

pwb

Credit cards have been, I'm sure, used as signal mirrors.
Key could be used as a lure being shiny, or rubbed on a rock to sharpen.
I've used a .22 case as a whistle have to give that eyelet use a try.

This has really got me thinking ,thanks.

Pete

P.S I've also used a .22 case to cut neat holes in leather .

Sep 7, 2008
newport
We were trained in emergency first aid to use a credit card to seal the entrance hole in a sucking chest gunshot wound.Sticks right on and seals the wound through suction and allows the lungs to inflate.Dirty crisp packets out the gutter,going underneath a field dressing was always good to.You can always deal with infection later with anti biotics.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
We were trained in emergency first aid to use a credit card to seal the entrance hole in a sucking chest gunshot wound.Sticks right on and seals the wound through suction and allows the lungs to inflate.Dirty crisp packets out the gutter,going underneath a field dressing was always good to.You can always deal with infection later with anti biotics.

interesting first post, welcome to the board.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Who knew credit cards had such better uses than ruining the economy!
Ok heres some things I can think up. On RM`s walkabout he showed a fire lighting kit with a flint and a peice of rope concealed within a metal tube to keep dry. He pulled the rope into the tube to extinguish it, I suppose the 22 case could be used for that, though it isnt strictly nessisary.
You could split it in half and use it as an awl? Beat it into something sharper?

Credit cards are useful for grouting! I assume you could use one as a roman style skin scraper to clean yourself with.

Keys can be used as a weapon stuck between your fingers when punching. Please don't try that at home ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
.22 cases make fantastic punches to stamp neat holes out of leather if you can't afford fancy hole punches :cool:

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
key could be used as fishing hook, providing that its a big fish your after, cover it with bait and hope it swallows, same goes for birds (bloody big birds) and then yank

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
There was an article, I think in shooting times, about using a spent cartridge case being hammered flat and used for gralloching the deer.
It might even have been one of the members on here who wrote it?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Who knew credit cards had such better uses than ruining the economy!
Ok heres some things I can think up. On RM`s walkabout he showed a fire lighting kit with a flint and a peice of rope concealed within a metal tube to keep dry. He pulled the rope into the tube to extinguish it, I suppose the 22 case could be used for that, though it isnt strictly nessisary.
You could split it in half and use it as an awl? Beat it into something sharper?

Credit cards are useful for grouting! I assume you could use one as a roman style skin scraper to clean yourself with.

Keys can be used as a weapon stuck between your fingers when punching. Please don't try that at home ;)

That's a 'chartube' - well, that's what they are called in this tutorial:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18725&highlight=chartube
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30907&highlight=chartube

:yelrotflm you forgot your coat :p
:notworthy :p

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i recon you could cut up the credit card and make it in to a pair of snow goggles (the ones with slits in) like these

the discoidal knife idea for the cartridge case above is a good one

the key i would keep for opening the door when i got home !!!!!!! or i might fashion it into a barbed spear point which ever came first

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
well lets see.

the credit card. well I guess I could use it as a scraper for prepairing hides, maybe score it with the keys and snap it to create a pair of crude arrow heads. good for one or two goes, maybe enough to catch dinner.

the .22 caseing well I'll just hang onto that until I find a use for it though I could think of uses involving parts of traps such as the trigger of a spring spear trap (if you're after game that big). but since getting .22 cartridges here is next to impossible I don't have one to work with as far as size and shape ect are concerned. but i could imagine it could be hammered I know from experience that copper pipes have sharp edges if you hammer them flat.

as for the keys. I'm assuming it's the cylinder lock style key. in which case they could make a handy saw if sharpened (good for cutting ropes and knotching wood) or made into a spear/arrow point. come to think of it threading a shoe lace through the eye of the key could allow it to be used in a baited trap either to hold the animal or as a release mechanism

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
dunno about the credit card but it must have thousands or uses, slithers of it could be used as arrow tips and/ or flights? Or sharp diamond shapes could be used as a hook to lodge in animals throats / mouths. Or you could easily fashion a net needle out of it. Or just burn it to help get kindling going? A shiny one would also act as a heliograph (signalling mirror).

Don't use a .22 case as a pendant, I've seen it done - they never sit straight and go green and manky in contact with your skin.

I once heard of an american guy who used a live .22 as a fuse in his truck, it got hot and went off, hit an artery in his leg and he died!!

I've used them to wrap wire around to make the eye in a snare - just to form it, can be used over and over again. As has been said, if you blow over the open end they whistle - but not all that well. I also tried melting them down recently but even with the stainless steel crucible glowing brightly they just glew too, and eventually burnt.

the key's got me baffled, I first thought they'd be a bit of steel to strike flint with but they're usually brass. They'd make a weight to throw a string or fishing line though, or maybe just something to leave in sight to help people find you? Or rubbed on a rock it would sharpen to make a makeshift knife - but being brass it wouldn't hold its edge very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE