How To Make A Flat Pack Wood Burning Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
What's the best way of cutting the sheet metal - I have attacked sheet metal with a jigsaw, but it tends to bend it, a dremmel and it wears the cutting disc out really quickly, hacksaw and I have reach problems. I have even used an angle grinder.....

Any help appreciated, thanks Paul

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
" What's the best way of cutting the sheet metal "

Depends on how thick but....

How about 'Irwin 10504311 Aviation Snips - Straight Cut'. I have bought a pair from amazon, waiting for delivery, but seems to be able to do it. there a a few different makes/ types on amazon quite reasonble too.

I also have a problem working sheet metal. How to easily cut slots out? I have drawn some plans for my own stove to be slotted together simillarly to the nimblewill (but a bit bigger) and I need to cut slots 1.5mm wide 30mm long. I have thought of 1, drilling either end then hacksawing the middle bit out. 2, drilling lots of holes knocking material inbetween out then filing edges smooth. Both seem alittle longwinded for my liking. I have research various hole punches (most seem to do round holes, but some can do rectangles) but these are far far too expensive for my little projects.

So all of you who have made a flat packable stove, how did you cut your slots out?

Thanks for any help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE