How much impact is acceptable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I know, it's not good is it, modern manufacturing is a big problem across most fronts. At least cotton is bio degradable. I'm mainly a wool man myself :)

Reactions: Wayland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Indigenous peoples have shown us the right way, that life on this planet can be sustainable, they don't over fish or over hunt areas because they know the consequences of losing those natural resources. The modern consumer society doesn't seem to have learnt that lesson.

It's a nice thought but no 'indigenous' peoples have had to share 250,000 square km with 66 million other people. This tiny island is not big enough for everyone to enjoy the little bit of 'country' we have even if we could rely on everyone taking care (which we can't). The more I see how once remote and beautiful places are trashed the more insular I am becoming.

If Scandinavian countries had population densities of 280 people per sq km they wouldn't be able to have the roaming and camping rights they have (Sweden 23, Norway 16.5, Finland 16 people per sq km).

My point being, there are not enough twigs on the floor for 66 million people to burn them; so we all have to make sure that when we do we are not taking it for granted that we can.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another way to look at it is that rather than “impacting” the environment, we are “part of” the environment. After all we did evolve in it and our footprint is only part of the evolution of the environment itself.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Another way to look at it is that rather than “impacting” the environment, we are “part of” the environment. After all we did evolve in it and our footprint is only part of the evolution of the environment itself.

Yes, that's essentially how I see it.
However, I also acknowledge this position comes with a phenomenal amount of responsibilities - it would otherwise be an excuse for any action with the defence, 'well, I'm just a part of the environment myself, so how can what I do be destructive?'
Humans are blessed and cursed with the ability of reason. Unfortunately, as others have highlighted above, we do not always use it equitably and fairly.

My point being, there are not enough twigs on the floor for 66 million people to burn them; so we all have to make sure that when we do we are not taking it for granted that we can.

That's precisely it.

The more I see...the more insular I am becoming.

Regrettably, I find myself feeling that way as well. More and more of late.

Wayland

Hárbarðr

I think that hits the nail on the head for me.

I often camp on a scout camp in the Midlands. Lovely wood, managed of course but very little deadwood to be found because it gets picked clean by group after group of scouts.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It's a nice thought but no 'indigenous' peoples have had to share 250,000 square km with 66 million other people.
Quite, it is somewhat doubtful if the British Isles could support all those people as hunter gatherers. ;)

I think that Wifey warms water at the sauna half the summer with twigs gathered within 15 meters. That is 60 liters, Those twigs are brought down by the winter.

I don't like the term "indigeneous", certainly there are regions where that can be properly applied but for example here it is very unclear who actually was first, there is little indication that 'ordinary' Finns came later than the Sami.

I am also not so sure that "indigenous" people think always of there surroundings, in most cases they just did not have the means to destructive activity (as we do). It is still being debated how much humans were part of the disappearance of the mega fauna some tens of thousands of years ago. When let go free most humans are not very good at taking care of their surroundings. It takes some thought (not all that common) and some practise.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I am also not so sure that "indigenous" people think always of there surroundings, in most cases they just did not have the means to destructive activity (as we do). It is still being debated how much humans were part of the disappearance of the mega fauna some tens of thousands of years ago. When let go free most humans are not very good at taking care of their surroundings. It takes some thought (not all that common) and some practise.

I would imagine they were too busy trying to survive to consider if their homeland would become a SSSI in 10K years

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I would imagine they were too busy trying to survive to consider if their homeland would become a SSSI in 10K years
I have a recollection of a study of hunter gatherers where the result was that most of them are not living at the edge of existence. Depends of course of a lot of things. On ocean shore the sea offers a continuous source of food. On the northern part of Am. west coast it was shown how important the sea was for survival when deer were hiding and salmon runs late.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
You've got very little control over what others do or don't do.
Even less over what people once did.

Better to concentrate and what you do, and to lead by example.
As a great man once said, 'be the change you want to see.'

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Really, I'd be keen to read that study, I've mostly found papers that suggested H/G's

had a roughly 50/50 chance they would reached puberty and even then only had another 15-20 years to live

I would expect a lot of fighting over a constant food source added to the issue

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Really, I'd be keen to read that study, I've mostly found papers that suggested H/G's

had a roughly 50/50 chance they would reached puberty and even then only had another 15-20 years to live

I would expect a lot of fighting over a constant food source added to the issue

Recent evidence suggests that Hunter Gatherers (Mesolithic) had a longer life expectancy than the early farmers (Late Neolithic) - the reduction in food choice etc. is thought to be the reason.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Recent evidence suggests that Hunter Gatherers (Mesolithic) had a longer life expectancy than the early farmers (Late Neolithic) - the reduction in food choice etc. is thought to be the reason.

Do you have any papers? - I've tried to look but its not my field, my access to academia is limited to medical publications.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Do you have any papers? - I've tried to look but its not my field, my access to academia is limited to medical publications.

I'll try and find the source but I've been studying the Mesolithic and Neolithic for some time and I've used a wide range of sources and not been very 'academical' about recording them :(

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think the study I remember was referring to situations with multiple sources of food but I think the ocean shore was an important part of it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... interesting; again, I thought that recent studies of human remains shows that there was remarkably little 'conflict' death - well, less than we had previously thought.

Sorry, this is drifting off topic now.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Too much war and you exterminate the tribe. I don't think that would be a good idea on the whole. In historical times in some areas tribes were fighting in others not. I have not seen an analysis why so (might very well exist, have to ask #1 son).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And the women bought into the system...

Talking about combat deaths, would it show if someone got a flesh wound and died of infection?

I imagine that happened a lot. I once saw someone with bad septcemia after a splinter which they did not treat. Ended up in A&E, pus everywhere!

They got better after antibiotics but what would have happened if they had not been able to get treatment? (and their mulockyness over the affair ended them up in that sorry state)

However people in the past were probably tougher

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE