How do you see the world/UK in 50 years time.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The will be self heating I imgaine. :D

The US as it exists will have change for good or bad I am not sure but in name it will be the there. The enviornemt will play a bigger part in everyones lives as I feel will the enviornments and resources of other worlds.

Things will certainly be a lot different and as someone said some of it will be good, some bad it's our reponsibility to help make it more good then bad.

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
It's a very interesting debate Abbe. Talking to Niall Ferguson, he has pointed out that every empire from the Egyptians to the Ottomans has collapsed, mostly rather spectacularly. However, the British Empire never collapsed. On the contrary, Britain has remained a great world power. The question is, is this a modern phenomenon? Can we assume that recent empires will be safeguarded against collapse by their structure? Or is it a freak case, helped by the position in the two world wars and the growth of the USA, that Britain has escaped the fate of other empires, and we can thus assume it will not happen again?
The economy of the US is in a truly awful state. At one point, the defence budget alone was greater than their net export revenue. The national debt is 7 trillion dollars and is growing at 1.6billion every day. The industry due to the capitalist economy is all about progression and effectivly hedonism (such very low fuel costs, very poor fuel economy and a rapidly growing internal flight business, this last being shared by the UK). Sooner rather than later aircraft will have to be powered by hydrogen or electric motors. This, obviously enough, will have a huge impact on the daily life of a US citizen - even disregarding human transport, world sources of goods will disappear, along with military capabilities and foods (perishables don't take kindly to month long boat trips).
People say China is the next big thing. It could be - but it depends how quickly a global change in resources takes effect. The Chinese industry is of course growing very fast - but if it tops out too soon they will be going nowhere fast. In addition to this, there are other developing nations such as India and Brazil who want a slice of the action - it seems to be a trend to emulate the Western nations, such as the UK, US, France, Germany, etc. - but the world simply cannot support these nations.
The loss of a US presence would impact the world politically to a great extent.
The US dominate the G8, the UN Security council, the UN, the World Trade Organisation, you name it, to the point of totalitarianism. Whether this is good or bad is up to you, but their removal would cause untold upheavals. Not to mention the semi-UN 'peacekeeping' - no more troops in S. Korea, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc etc. Not that these are entirely US troops (with the exception of Korea) - but they are there for operations started in majority by that same country.
Take the G8 for example. This was set up by the US in the early 70s, (rumoured to be a post-Vietnam backlash and indication of taking the oil crisis seriously, although none of that can be proved), started as the G6. It became 7 when Canada joined soon after (I think 1976). Russia was not a member until after the Cold War, in 1991 - that is, at the demise of the Soviet Union, and has recently been prevented from meeting by the USA. It is well known to be the 8 richest countries in the world - this is true, given total GDP. But take into account debt (which should be a top priority to pay off - there's no excuse if you're the richest country in the world :rolleyes: ), and GDP per capita, and it all changes. You must use GDP per capita because it's that that gives you an idea of the actual income - there is no use having a lot of money if it is stretched between many people - Russia is the 10th richest country in the world but not per capita - and you go to Russia you will understand. Many experts consider Russia to be an LEDC now. Per capita, the richest countries are:
1. Luxembourg $54053.46 per person
2. Norway $37533.66 per person
3. Bermuda $35882.03 per person
4. San Marino $32978.98 per person
5. Hong Kong $31071.64 per person
6. Denmark $30886.36 per person
7. Austria $30006.98 per person
8. Iceland $29520.42 per person
9. Canada $29491.31 per person
10. Cayman Islands $29464.30 per person
These countries, unlikely though they seem, are those that can and will last. They are also those that can make a difference to the world, as it's they who have money and to spare. For example, Norway is the world's largest aid donor per capita in the world. They also have an enormous fund to safeguard their income when oil runs out (oil represents the majority part of their exports).
However the thing to watch is interdependency. Everyone relies on each other, no matter how much you disbelieve it. Countries that make a lot of money through banking and consumer electronics (Hong Kong, anyone?) will suffer a huge amount if the US empire collapses - after all, there are more PCs in the US than in the next 7 greatest countries combined.
I really could go on all day. And I'd quite like to :D But I sense that very few people will even read this far, so I'd better stop and let others have their own say :)
Chris ;)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Please take note that the United States has forever been changing. Also please note that if economic circumstances in the United States are so dreadful as predicted above, all potential immigrants should be so informed.

The current state of the United States govenment debt could easily be corrected by a sensible tax program, however unlikely under the present administration. As it is, one could be forgiven for believing that the U.S. is run by and for the rich, either here or elsewhere. But there are a few still around that remember the Great Depression. Everything can change. Everything will change. Everything has always been changing.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
in 50 years time i'd be of an age very few people reach...At the present rate of losing one species every 20 minutes our biodiversity is not going to last much longer.

I would be in so much grief of losing so many of unreplaceable fellow creatures, my brother ans sisters on this planet, that I wouldn't find the place worth living in any more...

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I love the earth as it is now, not as a shadow of its former self...and that what 's going to be in 50 years' time.

Life will carry on. With far fewer species, far less diversity. Species like ...scorpions, cockroaches, are undestructible. Rodents are pretty hardy too and multiply quickly (unlike poor whales and elephants...).

I think the way we are going now, we are not very respectable or worthy of this fantastic brain of ours and of our capacity of being spiritual, of being in "alignment" with our human soul and in touch with it...

I am trying to find a way of respecting my species. Not easy.

In 50 years' time it would be great news for whales, elephants, tigers, dolphins, sparrows, bears, wolves, eagles, fish, birds of the rainforest and of elsewhere, mountain gorillas, Siberian tigers, snow leopards, sharks, sea turtles, countless other ceatures including our abandoned domestic dogs and cats and birds locked up in cages....if we disappeared almost completely in the form and lifestyle we are now...

...would be also great news for our fellow human beings the remaining tribes of Amerindians, the inhabitants of the forests of Papua New Guinea, Malaysia and elsewhere...the Sami people, and other nations of the North...all nomads...

So what can I say? In 50 years' time if we are still around I hope we will have evolved considerably to become or to re-discover being human, to express it with a shortcut. Otherwise the planet will be a very different and enpoverished place which will have to start a whole new cycle of diversification...like when the dinosaurs went...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The world will survive, and so will we, but more worrying will be the years leading up to it...

Sir Ken Livingstone and his TFL Army will, with the help of the unions, take over London, and rule it as an independent communist state, where the masses can only travle at the mercy of public transport-cars will only be for Party Members, using the existing Ministerial Lanes left over by the Labour Party only. President Blair 2nd, who will have to admit defeat as his military will be in another country, will move his government to Birmingchester (the Great Midland), thus admitting for the first time that there is a country outside of London. Those soldiers that do remain here would not be able to fight due to health and safety fears.... However, New, new, new, (really is this time) New Labour will cite this as a victory, as they don't like London anymore anyway. The Blair Succession The right to vote will be removed by Blair 1st under so called anti terror laws, as it will come to their attention that there is a risk of a terrorist plot to vote out The Victory Party in an election and a 'weaker' party such as the Freedom Party (previously known as the Conservative/Lib Dem Alliance) So therefore to protect the people, all voting will cease, and the Presidency will be determined by descent of the Blair Family. This style of 'democracy' gets total approval by the US, as long as they carry on with the Rights to all our oil.) will prevent people crossing the M25 by converting the speed cameras every 20 metres into even more surveillance cameras. This 'closed' border will be easy to cross though, it's just that you will receive a hefty fine if you do... The Isle of Wight will become a Luddite Haven, and will revert back to an 18th century lifestyle with limited technology. Wales will finally gain it's independence, but no one will notice. Once private car ownership has been banned by New, new, new, new Labour, then Swansea will become a ghost town, and Wales will then have no purpose for the government, so they will ditch it to relieve debt. It will finally stop raining in Scotland. The bad news is that it will freeze into permafrost instead. The good news, however, is that all the midges/skeeters will head south and pester the British seat of power in Birmingchester. The countryside will be abandoned as there will not be enough public transport for people to get to work. This will be seen as a cynical plot by the government to get everyone into towns where their cameras can keep an eye on them for their own 'anti terror protection', but after poublic denials of this by the accusers from the Freedom Party in the Big Brother House (aka Parliament) (who promptly are never seen again) the country carries on as normal. A New, new, new, new Labour Party Broadcast will warn people that the reason for urbanising the poulation is to protect them from the marauding bands of killer foxes that have dramatically over populated the countryside since 2005.

So all in all, not much change then....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE