How do you see the world/UK in 50 years time.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What do you folks think the world will be like in 50 years time.How are things going to change,global warming,mass exstinction of animals,massive human population growth,war for oil,mass civil unrest/war in our own country.Or will things be pretty much as they are now,maybe even better than now.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
CLEM said:
What do you folks think the world will be like in 50 years time.How are things going to change,global warming,mass exstinction of animals,massive human population growth,war for oil,mass civil unrest/war in our own country.Or will things be pretty much as they are now,maybe even better than now.

Hi mate;
I have a great link which can give you a very good picture, I was reading through the whole thing half year ago. Every day I can see our times marching into the direction outlines on that webpage.

After the oil crash

cheers
Abbe

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
CLEM said:
,war for oil,
More frightening, and hate to say it, but I think by then (if not much sooner) water will be a more likley source of war.
The world is in many ways better and in many ways worse thank in 1955 and the same will be true compairing 2055 to now. I'm certain it will be different in ways we can't imagine yet just as we are now from 50 years ago.
Lets all just try to leave our bit better as we pass on through!
Cheers
David

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
proberbly a dirty world, where soil, air and water is poluted in one or another way. If the population doesn't shrink, we will have mayor problem. More people, having more things, while the resources are shrinking.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
How about people working until they're ninety odd, to pay for the old'uns who are about 130 years old. And no work for the young'uns, cos most of us will still be working. Maybe the school leaving age would rise to about 50 odd. Whatever happens, i'm sure it wont be pretty. He say's reaching for his half empty glass.....

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Have you ever noticed that when there is less wildlife, it is thought to be a bad thing, yet when there are more humans, it is a bad thing?

Well, my experience is limited. For one thing, fifty years is a long time. For most people it might be more than living memory. The lack of actual memory of things past colors our opinions of things that have happened before we were old enough to remember things first hand. We are left with other people's impressions, good or bad, and "history" usually told with a point of view.

I can remember very vibrant small towns that, as my father described, "you couldn't walk down the street on Saturday night because of the crowds." Today they are practically ghost towns. So there may be population growth but it sure doesn't happen to the same degree everywhere.

Crime is surely unrelated to population. For instance, the population of Washington, D.C., has decreased in the last 40 years but the crime rate has increased. The cause and effect isn't all that obvious but you might begin to wonder about some of the things you are told. Some things are sensationalism on the part of politicians and the media. After all, they are the people who use expressions like "emergency," "crime wave," and "weapons of mass destructions," just to throw out a few.

Attitude is everything. Life is truly hard and life is not fair. Acceptance of those facts makes life much easier. Difficulty becomes normal and is not an issue. You may have heard that elsewhere.

You might also recall having heard the expression, "If things continue like this..." Well, they never do.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
"In the future there will be robots..."

Also the global warming thingy will cause greenland to defrost throwing loads of fresh water into the Atlantic which will divert the Atlantic drift which keeps us temperate. We will probably be like Scandinavia which will hit our wildlife hard I imagine as it is not evolved for permanent cold. Also with all the population moving to the South East the country will tip up in this corner into the sea. This is not helped by general rising water levels from Antarctica. Ken will be charging the congestion charge for boating commuters canoeing up Park Lane. Speed cameras wil be catching unruly yobs riding around on jetskis around the North Circular. Unfortunately all the fresh water from ice that has defrosted into the sea will have bad effects on marine life and thus all the rest above water too. All the major cities of the world will be underwater and the new coastlines will be formed around the world. It's not all doom and gloom though. We survivied all this last time, and I'm sure we'll all survive this as well. Could be the moment all the survivalists have been dreaming of though! Let's hope Mad Max style gangs will maraud the countryside fighting for the last of the petrol. Time to buy an autogyro.....

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Theres a general its not going to turn out too well feel to everyones posts,reason i asked is the recent bombings in London have got me thinking that its not impossible for major unrest or even a civil war to develop here in this country.Thats besides what unpleasant goings on are happening elsewhere across the globe.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'll be very old. I might have a hydrogen car. My house will be powered by solar cells and a small wind turbine, and it won't cost an arm and a leg to install. I may be able to buy an arm or a leg if I need one, but not on the NHS. My TV will be 3D, but I won't like watching it, as all TV will be rubbish. Food will come in tubes with holographic, full motion video wrappers you can eat, and puppies really will just be for Christmas, in any colour you want. :p

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'm an optimist. The earth is pretty good at sorting itself out, and of course it's entirely debateable as to whether global warming actually exists. Of course, the earth isn't too fussed about us humans, but I also think that we're intelligent enough and adaptable enough to sort ourselves out too.

You never know, maybe in 50 years time we'll all have discovered World Peace where we all just "get along" and everyone's happy.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Well that really depends on what you mean by world peace. If the world became a dictatorship under America, then there would be world peace, but not the kind that anyone wants!
I think the problem is that humans aren't smart enough to sort ourselves out. The world is seen as an expendable commodity, which is there to be used up, and if nature doesn't serve any commercial gain, then it has no value.

Beakytzw

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2005
where ever the military send me!
ohhh my god we are all doomed! A concrete Jungle, with precious areas of conservation, patrolled by armed forestry wardens. Fuel will be ok, pollution will be down, but poverty is up, and crime as well. Sea levels a lot higher than today and much of UK under water as are many other countries. Bushcraft has its own section in the World Heritage museum!

Have a nice day, now where did I leave my gun and row boat?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
The USA will collapse. No oil, no money, no nothing. Many experts agree that the American empire is nearing its ending stages. Quite apart from laser beams and jetpacks, can you imagine a world without the USA? If you stop and think about it, the impact it has on our lives is actually enormous.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
arctic hobo said:
The USA will collapse. No oil, no money, no nothing. Many experts agree that the American empire is nearing its ending stages. Quite apart from laser beams and jetpacks, can you imagine a world without the USA? If you stop and think about it, the impact it has on our lives is actually enormous.
I believe too that the US will go down because of their deep dependency on cheap oil. But the aggression the US has shown in their past to protect their own interest covered with slogans like world peace and democracy to create a free market and getting on the oil of other nations will drag the world into a 3 WW. The US will not go down peacefully I am sure about that. The last war here on earth will be a war for resources mixed with religious ambition. I believe that human’s kill each other as a cancer is eating its own body. Mother earth can’t keep on going with such a overload of growing a population. When the oil is to expensive and rare there will be a problem to produce food and medicine. Most of the people will die on starvation, sickness and as the result of war, riots etc.
Before that I believe that the capitalistic system is the last of the "isms" to crash.
The idea of capitalism to produce cheap and sell with a good profit is killing the western industries, creating mass unemployment and social unrest. While China is going to controll the production facilities, after some years Asia will controll the world finance and america will try to protect their interests again. At the moment China is not strong enough for a militäry conflict but withing 10 years the Chinese will controll the oil and the world production plants.

My prediction is that in around 100 years there will be only a couple of million people left on this earth.

//Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE