How do you feel about MTP clothing/kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Thanks for the replies, chaps. A MTP smock would be ideal but I can't justify another jacket!! Hopefully the price of the genuine daysacks will come down. £100 for a new one is excessive. On the subject of alpenflage I have a Swiss sniper jacket- super heavy and just cotton. But at least the camo is "unique".

There are many multi terrain patterned versions that match MTP and Multicam:

http://survivalaids.com/product2.php?subcat=457

UTP is so close that Crye have been firing shots across the manufacturers bows and it is thought that they may withdraw it.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Thanks for the replies, chaps. A MTP smock would be ideal but I can't justify another jacket!! Hopefully the price of the genuine daysacks will come down. £100 for a new one is excessive. On the subject of alpenflage I have a Swiss sniper jacket- super heavy and just cotton. But at least the camo is "unique".

Where do they sell for £100?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
What version is the smock combat 8415-99-317-8380 at now? I see Mk2's on ebay. is there much difference in the versions?
MTP is definitely growing on me, I think I would feel less conspicuous in MTP than DPM purely as it doesn't seem to stand out as much wandering about to get where I need to be. I would want the smock purely because it functions and doesn't cost that much to replace when I bust it. The zips on the goretex trousers look useful. The buffalo type lightweight shirt looks good.

I also saw some boots made by karrimor SF on bay, they aint the crap that sells in sports direct surely?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KARRIMOR-...ctables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item417627a75a

Also who is making the brown issue boots like these?

article-0-14BC7969000005DC-410_468x352.jpg

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
As far as I am aware altberg and haix have current contracts for the issue brown boots.

The altberg come in narrow and wide fittings and the haix tend to be a wider fit.

Lowa were rejected for their bid being more expensive; but they do sell a version of their combat boots in brown on the civilian market. Not too long ago RVops were selling them.
http://www.rvops.co.uk/Catalogue/Mi...sert/Lowa-Mountain-Boots-Brown-Gore-Tex-Lined
I dont know if they still have stock in. These are exactly the same as the black issue ones only sold on the civilian market in brown leather.

Lostplanet the mk2 smocks have pit zips on the arms, fleece handwarmer pocket behind the lower pockets; all the buttons have a flap of material covering them so they dont get snagged. There is a net mesh lining inside the jacket and the bellows pockets have a mesh bottom for drainage. There is also a compass pouch on the front now.

I personally dont like the new smocks, I would buy the mk1 version in mtp while they are still floating around.

While im on my soap box I will add I also hate the mk2 pcs trousers! They are a horrible fit with no waist adjustment. The mk1 pcs trousers are the standard s95 type but in mtp camo. I like these much better!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Also who is making the brown issue boots like these?

article-0-14BC7969000005DC-410_468x352.jpg

Don't know about over there but the issue boots over here have been rough leather (squede) for a decade or so now. Brown or tan squede for the Army & Marines, and tan or green squede for the Air Force. Several companies have contracts and several different styles are approved for issue. Here's a couple of examples:

mens-rocky-s2v-sage-green.jpg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
As far as I am aware altberg and haix have current contracts for the issue brown boots.

The altberg come in narrow and wide fittings and the haix tend to be a wider fit.

Lowa were rejected for their bid being more expensive; but they do sell a version of their combat boots in brown on the civilian market. Not too long ago RVops were selling them.
http://www.rvops.co.uk/Catalogue/Mi...sert/Lowa-Mountain-Boots-Brown-Gore-Tex-Lined
I dont know if they still have stock in. These are exactly the same as the black issue ones only sold on the civilian market in brown leather.

Lostplanet the mk2 smocks have pit zips on the arms, fleece handwarmer pocket behind the lower pockets; all the buttons have a flap of material covering them so they dont get snagged. There is a net mesh lining inside the jacket and the bellows pockets have a mesh bottom for drainage. There is also a compass pouch on the front now.

I personally dont like the new smocks, I would buy the mk1 version in mtp while they are still floating around.

While im on my soap box I will add I also hate the mk2 pcs trousers! They are a horrible fit with no waist adjustment. The mk1 pcs trousers are the standard s95 type but in mtp camo. I like these much better!

Got to agree the Mk2 trousers are no use (for the waist reason and the pocket style is not as good)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Got to agree the Mk2 trousers are no use (for the waist reason and the pocket style is not as good)
Belt helps keep my trousers up, as for the angled pockets they do work for certain objects.
Nice chap on the procurement team, has been patiently answering all questions on arrse for a few years now.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Belt helps keep my trousers up, as for the angled pockets they do work for certain objects.
Nice chap on the procurement team, has been patiently answering all questions on arrse for a few years now.

From wearing combats in the eighties the worse thing to wear was a belt (cutting in to your waist) with belt kit on top or a bergan. The side adjusters were great or on long tabs/weeks in the field a set of braces. We carried kit or food in pockets and in every part of our kit as possible

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
ICFT (Individual Combat Fitness Test)?

We did BFT (Battle Fitness Test)

I seem to remember wearing braces rather than a belt back then. (1982)

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Love my mtp smock...
Please excuse the question - do these wear big or true to size.

My sizing falls between the 41 inch (medium) and 44 inch (large).

Unfortunately, I don't have a stockists nearby where I can try one on and would like to get it right first time. I hate the hassle of returning items bought mail-order.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best Wishes,
David

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm usually a large at around a 42ish chest. My mtp is 180/104 if memory serves correct.. Its a good fit even with a thick wool jumper under it but works with a normal shirt as well. I'll have to check the sizing, can't believe I can't remember what all my smocks are

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'm usually a large at around a 42ish chest. My mtp is 180/104 if memory serves correct.. Its a good fit even with a thick wool jumper under it but works with a normal shirt as well. I'll have to check the sizing, can't believe I can't remember what all my smocks are

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

I'm just over 42 inch chest, soit looks as though that might be the best fit for me as wel.

Best Wishes,
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE