Hook knife blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Hi all I fancy having a go at making a useful tool but thought I want to start small not too ambitious just yet. I've got a good normal knife but fancy getting to grips with a hook knife, have'nt got one of those. So looking for a blade that I can make and fit my own handle to.
Anybody any suggestions where I could get one? Thanks in advance !

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A good quick cheap way to "play" around with a crook knife is as near as the local farm store or horse supply/tack store.

Go pick up a Hoof Knife - used for cleaning and trimming horses hooves. The blade will generally be fully "hooked" back - more like a U shape. And they generally have a wood handle. But they will give you some good service for a while. And you can modify or replace the original wood handle with one that fits you. But most importantly, you should be able to get a "user" grade one fairly cheaply.

And if you want, you can modify that U shape blade end a little without having to forge and re-heat-treat it. Just "snap" off the end of the blade trying to leave some of the curved up portion. Then grind the broke end a bit to remove sharp edges and blend it back from the cutting edge. Make sure to keep the blade cool. You won't have a long angled up section of blade on your new crook knife, but that little bit still does work.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. The local farm store near me has them for just under $10 usd, but some "better quality" ones running up to $25.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The hoof knife is a bit like a crook knife which is used palm up and different to the hook knife which is mostly used palm down. I've tried and don't rate the hoof knife as a starting point, but maybe that's because I'm familiar with hook rather than crook knives. (err ... does that make sense?!)

Anyway, a while back we did a passaround of a variety of hook knives (and a hoof knife) and there's some reviews and photos here that might be of interest.

Nicola

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You could always have a go at making one from a chainsaw file they are cheap at a couple of quid. You will need to shape the bevel with a grinder or files and heat it up to shape it for the curve then re heat and cool in oil, if you dont fancy it yourself take it to a blacksmith and see if he can help. Chainsaw files are a good as there not too thick and they have a tang ready for your handle.

Made a couple myself they work okay.

crookknives.jpg

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Thanks a lot folks, your comments and advice are greatly appreciated, as I say I want to start nice and simple so thinking of purely a kit type affair with a finished blade so that I just start with something simple like the handle then move up to something a little more challenging later. I have never attempted anything like this before you see, so want to start crawling first.

Aug 23, 2008
Bournemouth
Hi Guys, this is my first post so please go gentle with me, I apologise if any of my questions have already been asked.
I have just started enjoying carving and have been starting with the obligatory spoon route (3 done). I bought a double edged Frosts knife and then a single but was advised that there are no left handed versions available. Having completed a course with Woodsmoke I know of Ben Orford and sent an email but have recieved no response in the intervening fortnight, perhaps he is away. Does anyone know where else I could try to obtain a left handed crook knife? Preferably with a smaller curve to it than the Frosts knifes have.
Secondly, does one need to treat spoons with anything prior to using them for eating? I just wonder whether certain woods contain anything that is toxic (other than Yew) or taint the food?

Thank you for any help you can give me, I look forward to becoming a regular poster here.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

:lmao: :lmao: Dave is being very modest Julian.

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to supply you with a left handed crook knife if you were to PM him with your requirements.

(usual disclaimer, not linked in anyway, shape or form with said Mr Budd other than as a very satisfied customer)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
PM Dave budd, his crook knives are the best I've used, and he is a great guy not as cheap as a frost, but 100 times easer to use.

Aug 23, 2008
Bournemouth
Thanks Guys, I'll PM Dave and try to get a second or even third word from him!
Any ideas on treating spoons?

By the way, what's this BB I see keeps getting mentioned on the forum?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Secondly, does one need to treat spoons with anything prior to using them for eating? I just wonder whether certain woods contain anything that is toxic (other than Yew) or taint the food?.
If you stick to native British woods I don't think there's much you need worry about. Even those which technically have some toxicity I think you'd have to actually eat the spoon to get any ill effects. I think inhaling dust when sanding is a greater problem, but then I don't use sandpaper so I don't worry about that either!

By the way, what's this BB I see keeps getting mentioned on the forum?
BB=British Blades a very useful and busy knife making forum which many of us are members of too.

Nicola

Aug 23, 2008
Bournemouth
Thank you Nicola, I will have a look over there. By the way I spent an hour of so looking at your site this morning, you have some beautiful pieces displayed there. Very enticing for those of us that admire wood in all it's forms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE