Homemade leather dye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Is there a way to make homemade leather dye that has good staying power and is unlikely to rub off on your clothes?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
John Fenna mentioned that wire wool placed in a jar of vinegar and left made a good, dark dye. I haven't tried it myself though.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
John Fenna mentioned that wire wool placed in a jar of vinegar and left made a good, dark dye. I haven't tried it myself though.

Yup is called 'vinagaroon' - is not really a dye as such - It is a chemical reaction between the ferric acetates and the tannins causes the leather to turn black. It permanently changes the leather structure all the way through a grey / black colour - when you add a wax or oil it brings out the colour;)

It seems to work best with rusty wire wool however any rusty steel should work...

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Any pictures of leather that's been done that way?

Sorry, no can't seem to find any however I have a batch of wool rusting to make a new batch at this very moment! ;) - I'll post a pic once it is done!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have used 00000 wirewool and vinegar before and it was the best, most intence black I have ever got and as Graham said it a chemical reaction so does not rub off. It's quite quick (about a week from memory) if you use the finest wool you can get (down with the french polish stuff at your DIY shop). The only problem was that I could not get rid of the smell of the vinegar!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Try "van dyke" crystals (ebay for a couple of quid). I have dyed several belts and sheaths with it, it gives a subtle light brown, and with persistance, you can darken it up with boot polish. I mainly use it on edges of sheaths and such.

Chris

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have used the vinegar/steel wool, on a veg tan leather sheath.It did produce a very dark, grey colour, rather than pure black, but, afterwards, I used some black shoe polish on it, and it did give a nice colour. The vinegary smell does eventually dissappear! The colour does not come off at all, as its a chemical reaction that darken the leather.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mine is so dark that black boot polish makes it black, dark tan polish - a very dark brown!
If you use it on knife sheathes neutralise any acid with a filling of bicarbonate of soda before storing a knife in it......:)

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Thats all it takes. You can step on them to crush the skin. That speeds up the processes. Don't get any on your hands as it does not wash off. You will have stained fingers until it wears off. :eek:
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE