Homemade fatwood fire piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I made a fire piston out of a piece of fatwood, found at the last bushcraftmeeting here in Holland.
As fatwood is saturated with resin it is airtight, unlike most other woods, so it is fit for making a fire piston ;)
The fatwood stick was cut in 3; one piece for the bore, one smaller piece as handheld for the piston (with a shallow borehole for the piston), and the last piece for making the rounded piston stick with some help of my Mora knife and sandpaper/electronic drill.
The bore was made with a column drill.
The rounded piston stick was glued in to the handheld piece after which a shallow tinder cavity was drilled.
To make an airtight seal I used some lime tree inner bark (just picked up as it was from a decaying stick lying in the street here in Amsterdam). I wetted the inner bark and wound it tight around the piston end (= without turning it to cordage first). By forcing this with a 'screwing' motion into the borehole the bark was kneaded into an airtight seal. I used olive oil for lubrication and some chaga (Inonotus obliquus, found at the site of the Dutch bushcraftmeeting as well) as tinder to make the first coal.

Total length circa 8.5 cm (just smaller than the firecrest in the background), bore 4.3 cm deep & 8.5 mm wide.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE