Homelesness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
The homeless.

I can only ask you that if you see somoene begging( something i never had to do thank god) but don't give them money, if you wan't to give them a cup of tea or something to eat that would be amazing and believe me a lot of them will thank you for life. In my experience (though my 8 years were spent in woodland) only visiting towns everyday for something to do, i made my money by teaching survival skills.Homelesness isn't a crime these people have a difficulty they struggle with( a simple hello can give somoene the impetus to live) i myself devoloped alcholism others have drug problems which for most is a way of coping, We don't ask for money but we ask to be treated like the humans we are.

I don't recommend stopping and taling to homeless folks as some can be unpredictable. Just walk by and drop a sandwich or cup of tea etc and keep walking.

In winter if you can give somoene homeless a wool blanket or an old foam mat or something to eat/ drink ( no alcholhol) this could save there life.

May 18, 2011
Scotland
We are all bushcrafters, we all have something w can contribute to them, an old sleeping bag, old wool blanket, old roll mat, anything you don't need can help( no sharps or stoves) even saying while passing to insualte from ground will help.

We are still human.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I feel for the homeless as some make one bad choice in life and suffer for it, where as some homeless are the drug fueled/alcoholic/violent type that you dont want to encourage

I put money in charity box's but not to the homeless themselves as i believe sitting on the side of a street is quite silly, theres places they can go for help and when theres young children around you dont really want the violent types around

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
I feel for the homeless as some make one bad choice in life and suffer for it, where as some homeless are the drug fueled/alcoholic/violent type that you dont want to encourage

I put money in charity box's but not to the homeless themselves as i believe sitting on the side of a street is quite silly, theres places they can go for help and when theres young children around you dont really want the violent types around

Well said sir

May 18, 2011
Scotland
Who are you to know what i have how i live or what i do for others ?

I am noone all i was saying was that if anone can give anything it would be an improvement on nothing for these people.

From the way i lived for the past 8 years a cheap tarp or a cheap mat or cheap blanket would be an improved on nothing which for me or any other homeless person would be a cast improvement on now, anything would be better.
Lab72 i'm sorry you feel agreswive for some reason( which you posts on this threas serm to imply) maybe you have a reason to dislike us bt thats okay i will stil wish you well and if ther is anything i can do to help you give me a pm.

I only assume thayt because you have internet you have at least a blanket.

May 18, 2011
Scotland

I completely understand and respect your views but i believe personally that people who have the ability to help other humans have the right to

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I completely understand and respect your views but i believe personally that people who have the ability to help other humans have the right to

Don't get me wrong if i come into some money i would give a donation to a chosen charity, but i'm not the most well off guy in the world. I think footballers should give something back, overpaid and ungrateful but that's just my opinion.
I would happily work for free in a homeless shelter where people go for help, but from talking to some homeless people and my friend working at a shelter where many don't want help, many have families they could go live with but some want independence and i respect that

Don't get me wrong, if you can help someone less fortunate out- do so, but not everyone has something to give. I donate old clothes, blankets, bed sheets, anything that could help

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Homelessness is an evil self fulfilling negative spiral. For many, there is little help available - and the places the homeless can go are often rife with drugs, violence and are very unsafe. Most homeless did not become alcoholic or drug addicted and then become homeless as a result. They became homeless and used things like alcohol to blot out bone chilling cold, wet, stinking clothes and endless hunger.

The homeless usually fall into one of four categories

1) Ex services
2) Abused kids who cannot get benefits or their own place
3) Victims of marriage break ups (mostly men)
4) The mentally ill (care in the community!)

Most lack access to the most basic facilities (medical, a mailing address, washing facilities, secure storage for their gear when they sleep)

Its very difficult once "in" to get "out". Many overnight hostels and halfway houses are terrifying places.

It is a truly terrible life. Congratulations on breaking out of the spiral EagleOwl. I wasn't on the streets for as long as you, but I still have the scars (physical and mental).

I applaud your intentions - but perhaps this isn't the place to talk about it - as important a subject as it is

Red

May 16, 2011
Perth
I dont give money to the homeles in scotland because nomatter what happens you will get somehwere to stay we have homeless shelters galoreand everyone gets a chance the only way you are forced to live on the streets is by your own fault they get all the help that is needed to get back on the right track. asfor the ex forces thing i agree alot of people coming out of the forces have severe metal problems and struggle with getting back into a civilian routine and should be given more support than just plain junkies that have brought the problem on there self.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
I dont give money to the homeles in scotland because nomatter what happens you will get somehwere to stay we have homeless shelters galoreand everyone gets a chance the only way you are forced to live on the streets is by your own fault they get all the help that is needed to get back on the right track. asfor the ex forces thing i agree alot of people coming out of the forces have severe metal problems and struggle with getting back into a civilian routine and should be given more support than just plain junkies that have brought the problem on there self.

Some will disagree but you have knocked the nail on the head ,I have been homeless and if you really want to get out of it you can ok it can be hard but can be done , Peace

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've bought food and water for several of the homeless people of Bristol and most were grateful, others made it clear they only want money.

I've known alot of young men who became homeless and mainly because of drugs and prison but there is hope for those who can seek it.

If you want to help genuine people give food, drinks or blankets and maybe a packet of fags.

Just be polite about giving or offering supplies as it can feel very degrading being homeless and in need.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is a difficult subject. There will always be mistrust and even hostility. Yes I've seen homeless people that made me uneasy or some who made me think, "It couldn't have happened to a better person." But then I realize how at any time in my life just one decision (mine or an employer's), one question more or less on an employment exam could have changed my own situation. I've also seen homeless who from the first sight made me think, "There but for the grace of God, go I." Whether anyone wants to do anything for them is a matter of their own conscience.

I would recommend a few guidelines for those who do want to help. As has been suggested already, give through your chosen charity. Volunteer to help at a shelter (I'm looking forward to serving Thanksgiving Dinner next year for the Waterfront Rescue Mission if possible) Heck! Even try to organize a meal program if one doesn't already exist in your area.

As the OP said though, do NOT give money to a homeless individual. Regarding gifts of food, try to give non perisables such as tinned goods. Another option is a gift certificate for the value of a meal or two at a cheap eatery; such as McDonald's here or whatever might be there (perhaps Little Chef) Make the offer in a manner that lets the individual keep their dignity.

Wishing them away won't make it happen. As far not wanting the violent types around my kids (in my case my Godson/grandson now) I have two things to say. 1st, my kids will not be out unsupervised until they are old enough (and have been taught well enough) to be trusted to avoid dangerous situations. 2nd, even after working over 13 years as a cop and/or corrections officer, I still have not allowed myself to become so jaded as to dismiss the homeless because they "might" be violent. I'll be cautious---but---I'll give the benefit of the doubt until given a reason not to. In fact while working in prisons and jails I came across many inmates who were quite productive while incarcerated; they just were incapable of managing their own lives while on their own. They always returned to the jail after a short time outside.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE