Home made tomato ketchup recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a habit of publishing a few preserving / home made recipes at this time of year.

This is my adaption of an internet recipe for tomato ketchup. I like this one because you don’t need to peel and de-seed the tomatoes – which is time consuming. The addition of vinegar and sugar improves the keeping qualities of the finished ketchup. The spices are heavy and fragrant and can / should be adapted. Fennel can certainly be omitted, chilli increased or celery added.

Ingredients
First Step Ingredients
3 lbs. Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
1 med Onion, diced
2 Garlic Cloves,
2 tsp Black Peppercorns
2 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
4 Allspice Berries
4 whole Cloves
2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1″ Cinnamon stick
1 tsp Paprika
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 fresh Bay Leaf

Second Step Ingredients
80ml Raw Cane Sugar
80ml Red Wine Vinegar
Juice 1/2 of a Lemon
1 tsp Sea Salt

1. Chop all the tomatoes (skins and seeds included) and place in a large stock pan

2. Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan

3. Nip out to the herb store and measure out all the step 1 spices

4. Add the spices to you pan

5. Heat the pan and bring to a simmer

6. Cook for half an hour or so until the mixture becomes thick and reduced by a third to a half

7. Put the mixture into a food processor and blitz until smooth

8. Push the mixture through a fine nylon sieve into the rinsed stock pot with the back of a spoon to get the “bits” out

9. Add the sugar, vinegar, lemon and salt and simmer until the sugar had dissolved stirring constantly – takes about 5 minutes

10. Put into jars heated to 120C and seal

Hope thats fun for someone

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When I do a big batch (I find about three times the volumes given works well), I turn a lot of it into barbecue sauce. Happy to show that one as well Graham if it interests.

I know 9lb of tomatoes sounds a lot - but I suspect any greenhouse owners know the meaning of the word "Glut" :eek:. This one really is quick to process (hence my preference for it) and you can turn huge tomato gluts (or cheap end of day market deals come to that) into something we all eat.

Anywhoo - shout if you want the barbecue one

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That looks really delicious! Excellent tutorial. :thankyou: I'm going to have to try this. The only difference is that I like really hot, spicy ketchup so I would add something to warm it up a bit. :D

I would also be interested in the barbecue sauce recipe. And do you do spaghetti sauce as well?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yeas - spaghetti, chilli sauce, you name it, I make it :)

Putting two walloping great glass houses in for next year so I need the practice!

For more heat, I would add more chilli, a couple of tsps of ginger and a bit of cayenne. That should give it more kick :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm game for any recipe's mate! - not keen on BBQ but don't let that stop you! ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice recipes Red. As for the herb store...Well that's just teasing everyone....hc

A lot of it is just clippings at the moment as we get things into shape. The big bundle of bay leaves for example are from clipping the two bay trees into suitable "lollipop standards" to meet BBs aesthetic taste. She finally got them - and the brick path to stand them on :D. The big bundle of lavender is likewise clipping from what will form a lavender hedge round the two beds.

New Path by British Red, on Flickr

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you Ian - this was it in July last year

3743756512_8eab20846d_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Has the BBQ sauce recipe been and gone.Did I miss it?

Oh and just to check as I'm doing the tomato sauce tomorrow...
is 80ml Raw Cane Sugar the volume ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Haven't had a chance at the BBQ yet - I'll do some in a couple of weeks, promise :)

80ml by volume is right for the sugar

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Red the heating of the glass jars, I'm guessing it's a hygiene thing can you explain please. Recipe looks great looking forward to trying it and loving yr herb store, makes my shelf of Schwartz look poor.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Kills bacteria and also means you aren't putting hot liquid into cold jars causing them to crack. When you seal the jar hot the jar and contents are sterile and because its then airtight bacteria can't get in to spoil the sauce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE