Home made mincemeat recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I, for one dont like to fuss over xmas presents, while my relatives are hard to shop for. Most people like mince pies, however. Home made mincemeat is very easy to make, and yet it is one of those dishes that people think is difficult, so this is a good way to impress people.

MINCEMEAT

1/2 lb apples, cored
1/2 lb raisins
1/2 lb currants
1/2 lb suet
1/2 lb brown sugar
1 lemon, pips removed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or mace
1 cup sherry

you will need about six standard sized jam jars.

put lemon and apples though mincer (or finley chop), add to other ingredients in bowl, mix well

and jar up. If a little dry, add more water/sherry

ANOTHER INGREDIENTS LIST
1/2 lb apples
1 1/2 lb mixed dried fruit
1/2 lb brown sugar
1/2 lb suet
1 lemon
2 oz chopped nuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup brandy

Old fashioned mincemeat would have had more spices; try doubling the amounts given.

Reactions: rik_uk3

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Looks a nice recipe. I've made mincemeat with meat for the first time this year. I haven't tried it yet - it's in jars in the fridge. It's supposed to be good - a not-so-sickly alternative to traditional mincemeat.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its not sickly, its mostly dried fruit.

unlike the shop stuff which is mostly apple and sugar and unspeakable vegitarian by product.

it keeps for about a year.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Sorry Tengu, I wasn't implying your recipe was sickly, I was making a sweeping generalisation about the mincemeat you normally find in shop bought mince pies.

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Tengu, excellent recipie. Ive just made some. Only trouble is not much of it made it into the jars :rolleyes:

Little tip: dont go over board with the sherry, i kind of slipped when i was pouring it in (hic), not even sunday dinner yet and i feel rather merry :eek:

Mark

Stumpy

Jun 8, 2005
Outskirts of Dundee
The Tenants on Scottish estates paid their rent in kind, a combination of grain, peats, eggs, hens, geese, lambs, straw and marts. Marts were the cattle slaughtered at Martinmas, a traditional feast in November. Cattle were slaughtered because it was difficult to feed them over the winter. The Laird's house would have a glut of meat and some of it could be preserved for a short time by mincing it and mixing with sugar, fruit, wine and spices. This is the original "minced meat".
The recipe below came from Lady Urquhart's recipe book (her husband was Captain John Urquhart, owner of the Cromarty Estates 1741 - 1756.

Minced Pyes

6 lbs Beef, 12 Apples (hashed), 8 lbs Suet, 3 lbs Sugar, 6 lbs Currants, 2 lbs Raisins, Peel of 1 Orange, 1-1/2 ozs Nutmeg, 1-1/2 ozs Cinnamon, 1-1/2 ozs of Cloves and Mace, a trace of Ginger, 1/2 pint Rose water, 1 pint White Wine, 1/2 pint sack, salt and pepper.
Mix all together and it will keep for a month or more.

Stumpy

Jun 8, 2005
Outskirts of Dundee
The Tenants on Scottish estates paid their rent in kind, a combination of grain, peats, eggs, hens, geese, lambs, straw and marts. Marts were the cattle slaughtered at Martinmas, a traditional feast in November. Cattle were slaughtered because it was difficult to feed them over the winter. The Laird's house would have a glut of meat and some of it could be preserved for a short time by mincing it and mixing with sugar, fruit, wine and spices. This is the original "minced meat".
The recipe below came from Lady Urquhart's recipe book (her husband was Captain John Urquhart, owner of the Cromarty Estates 1741 - 1756).

Minced Pyes

6 lbs Beef, 12 Apples (hashed), 8 lbs Suet, 3 lbs Sugar, 6 lbs Currants, 2 lbs Raisins, Peel of 1 Orange, 1-1/2 ozs Nutmeg, 1-1/2 ozs Cinnamon, 1-1/2 ozs of Cloves and Mace, a trace of Ginger, 1/2 pint Rose water, 1 pint White Wine, 1/2 pint sack, salt and pepper.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Doesnt that sound yummy?

It wouldnt keep for a month with me!

Glad you like it Wetstuff. Only add enough sherry or brandy to keep it moist.

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Thanks tengu,
That would be where i went wrong then, haha. I ust admit it is rather moist now, oh well looks like i wil have to make some more :D

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stumpy said:
The recipe below came from Lady Urquhart's recipe book (her husband was Captain John Urquhart, owner of the Cromarty Estates 1741 - 1756).

Minced Pyes

Thanks for posting this :D
Somewhere I recall an old recipe for meaty mincemeat, but it uses only local produce; plums, rowans and apples instead of raisins and currants, mutton, suet and a little venison, coriander, nigella, mustard and sweet cecily seeds, honey and barley ale. Beef was expensive, but mutton was common food.

Cheers,
Toddy

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
So do you not stew it for ages or add something so it sets?

[edit] looked up the recipie and found a great site in the process: http://www.greenchronicle.com . Thank you google!

On the subject of mince pies, I brought 6 today to last me all week: one a day. Unfortunately it now looks like I might have to buy 1 packet per day - as I type I'm munching on the last one!

Stumpy

Jun 8, 2005
Outskirts of Dundee
Meat Mince Pies.
I found another recipe for mince pies using minced meat on the rivercottage.net website.
Select Seasonal Recipes and scroll down to an article by NeilK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE