hilleberg enan tent - lightweight atko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The Akto is very probably the best one man tent I've ever had/used. Spectacularly strong, spacious and well designed. Hilleberg do recommend however that in all but the worst conditions that you should try to have the vents open at each end to allow a through draft to avoid condensation. It's a playoff against having a limpet fly of such strength and water repelance. The limpet fly stops nasty build up of spindrift that you get with a lot of flies that are spaced off of the ground.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The only cure to condensation found on the Web is pitching them under a tarp and leaving the door open.
I used to use one a lot and never had a problem if I left the Vents open Petro. The newer ones also have a cowl over the top of the door zip which allows you to leave that open slightly too. The side vents also have lips over them and I never had water ingress through them. Sounds like folk aren't reading the instructions that come with them.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I used to use one a lot and never had a problem if I left the Vents open Petro. The newer ones also have a cowl over the top of the door zip which allows you to leave that open slightly too. The side vents also have lips over them and I never had water ingress through them. Sounds like folk aren't reading the instructions that come with them.
That's all verily well above the dew point or in the dry, but as soon as hot warm air hits cold plastic you get condensation. The best tent I have read about is the pyramid design with the vent right at the top. Hot air rises!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's all verily well above the dew point or in the dry, but as soon as hot warm air hits cold plastic you get condensation. The best tent I have read about is the pyramid design with the vent right at the top. Hot air rises!
Aye I suppose your right, 'cause it's always warm and sunny in Scotland so I never had problems. :rolleyes:

hilleberg-akto-tent-review-7.jpg
The cover vent at the top of the door on the MKII onwards which will allow the hot air out.

hilleberg-akto-tent-review-6.jpg
One of the end vents; also covered, to allow airflow.

Sweden where they're designed has weather that's pretty similar to Scotland for a lot of the year. Cold and wet, or driech as we say 'round here. They openly say that you'll get condensation unless you take action, it's why all their tents have good venting systems that also defeat the rain.

My current Hilleberg is the Tarra which has it's big top vent covered in it's own fly, allows good through flow of air.
prodzoomimg14034.jpg

;

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Aye I suppose your right, 'cause it's always warm and sunny in Scotland so I never had problems. :rolleyes:

[
rain.

My current Hilleberg is the Tarra which has it's big top vent covered in it's own fly, allows good through flow of air.

;

I think it's the scottish recognition of the words condensation, rain, cold, are significantly different to mine in all reality. Condensation I mean just damp on the fly. A tarp also makes an exellent sunscreen too!
Looks like a nice tent the tarra goatboy.I like the idea of the domes with the dome vent at the top alot, airflow over and through seems to be better than one secluded vent.

Charity, excitement, enthusiasm, midges, winter summer, sunburn, hard,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE