Hennessey Hammocks !! Piece of cake !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
That sounds like it could be a plan; does the lower hammock get in the way when you want to get out? (I'm thinking at 3am when you just *have* to pee...) :shock: :lol:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
outdoorgirl said:
That sounds like it could be a plan; does the lower hammock get in the way when you want to get out? (I'm thinking at 3am when you just *have* to pee...) :shock: :lol:

Yes, I know that one! It doesn't seem to get in the way at all. Just open the entrance flap, fish your shoes out and move the bottom hammock to one side and out you go.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Moonraker said:
One thing I noticed, did you not use the tree hugger strap things?

As it was dark when I unpacked it in the woods, I didn't even know they were in the bag!! It's only when I got home to dry it out that I thought some monkey had packed a couple o car seatbelts in there !!! :eek:):

I'll have to try them on the next test :biggthump

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
maddave said:
As it was dark when I unpacked it in the woods, I didn't even know they were in the bag!! It's only when I got home to dry it out that I thought some monkey had packed a couple o car seatbelts in there !!! :eek:):

I'll have to try them on the next test :biggthump
:rolmao: :rolmao: . How many times do you find crucial bits of kit nestled in the bottom of the packaging; usually years later in my case :)

jakunen

Native
Yeah, it was trying Womble's HH that decided me. He told me to try it. Climbed in, fell asleep.

As for those with back problems, I unfortunately really screwed my back in a climbing accident about 14(?) years ago, so I was a bit wary, but the hammock provides great support for your back. One of the best nights sleep I'd had camping.

The 'privacy' of the standard fly was part of the reason I got a hex fly. You can peg it down giving pretty good privacy and side wind/rain protection. Great piece of kit.

jakunen

Native
I paid about £50 for the hex fly from Jack at Woodland.

You can get it direct from Hennessy with the hex fly, but obviously it might take a bit longer to arrive.

Check out the previous thread on 'should I buy a hennessy' or whatever it was called from a couple of weeks ago.

And I persoanlly think it's better to support the guys on the forum. Although it does mean I have a spare asym fly...

Hmm, anyone wanna buy an asym fly?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
jakunen said:
I paid about £50 for the hex fly from Jack at Woodland.

You can get it direct from Hennessy with the hex fly, but obviously it might take a bit longer to arrive.

Check out the previous thread on 'should I buy a hennessy' or whatever it was called from a couple of weeks ago.

And I persoanlly think it's better to support the guys on the forum. Although it does mean I have a spare asym fly...

Hmm, anyone wanna buy an asym fly?
If you decide to go for the Hex fly before you have received/ used a regular silnylon fly supplied with a Hennessy Hammock (this does not include the 'Expedition A-sym' lots of people have brought as it comes with a pu-coated fly with is cheaper), then Hennessy will swap it for a pu-coated Hex fly for nothing even if it was not brought direct from them. You only pay the shipping, duty, tax fee which is $30. But you have to send the fly back to them which ups the price. Say £10 signed for Airmail. All in cost around £27.

Remember also there are two models of Hex fly. The pu-coated 144" x 120" model which WO are doing and HH sells for $59.99, and a slightly larger silnylon Hex fly 144" x 134" at $129.99 which you can upgrade to this way if you pay the difference in cost ($80/ £44.43).

Details from the HH web site, Catalogue section:

REPLACEMENT RAIN FLYS

30D "HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. This lighter weight hex fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym, Explorer Deluxe Asym or Safari for the difference in price.
$129.95

70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144"x 120" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 90z , 700 g. This fly comes standard on the new Safari Deluxe but will provide generous protection from wind and rain for any model. The "Hex" fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym or Explorer Deluxe Asym for no additional cost. Just indicate in the "Comments" section of the online orders page that you would prefer the hex fly.
$59.95
One thing when swapping out a standard silnylon fly for the Hex fly, HH confirmed to me that the largest Snake Skins (#3) are not big enough to take the hammock and the larger Hex fly. They said:

the #3 snakeskin is the largest one we make. People usually
use them just with the bottom, which is the tricky part to fold and fold up the fly separately.
I guess this applies to the largest model, the 'Safari Deluxe' which ships with the pu-coated Hex fly as standard? I will not have a chance to check this myself until the Hex arrives. Anyone else found this?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Paganwolf said:
so the 50£ one will be ok with my ultralight & snake skins :?:
You have the pu-coated Hex fly if you got it from WO mate. Jack said he was getting prices for the larger version Hex but did not stock them just yet. Perhaps the larger silnylon one fits.

It is what they said in the email reply quoted above PW. I sent my Snake Skins back thinking they would have a larger one for the Hex but size #3 is the largest they do :cry:. But they are just sending me a replacement set of SS anyhow. Really great personal service to date BTW.

Maybe people who have got the replacement can confirm this one way or the other :?:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I got my HH Explorer today. I got it direct from HH with the Hex Fly swapped for the standard at no extra cost. I have only given it a quick test in the garden but it seems great. One thing I tried but did not seem right was using it as a seat. When I tried this the ridge line was pressing into the back of my head. Am I doing this right?

Looking forward to giving it a cold weather test soon. The great thing is that as it will be an open canoe trip I can take a Bivi Bag, Thermarest, Survival Blanket and a two sleeping bags. My plan is to try all the various combinations to see what I can be comfortable with without a weight penalty. Obviousley I am hping a sleeping bag will be enough as adding the Thermarest takes the weight quite a bit over a bivi and tarp. But we will see.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Adi Wrote :

Has anyone taken a hammock with them only to, well, not find trees?!

Yep thats one of the first problems I encountered using a HH backpacking.
So what i have done is ditched the fly completely and replaced it with an SASS Aussie Hoochi. I works really well, as i can configure the Hootchi in 101 ways if there are no suitable trees about. So i get the best of both worlds, without the weight of carrying both.
I always use a thermarest in the hammock (or Hootchi :wink: if ground dwelling) I always get a cold back without it, even in relatively mild conditions.
My rucksack - Snugpak Rocket Pack comes with rain covers attached underneath. So i either clip it to the treehugger and hang it up, or leave it on the ground under the middle of the hammock. Its yet to get wet.
I am considering purchasing another Hootchi to popper onto the first and act as extra shelter for cooking under and day time bushcraft activities in the rain.

Well thats what works for me - but each to there own :biggthump

Rich

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
OK, I can see one of these going on my Christmas list too... :)

One last question, that I don't see asked or answered on the Hennessy site: where do you put your backpack? I can see that boots, clothes, etc. can be hung over the ridge line, but what about the rucksac? Does that just sit underneath the hammock and you hope that it doesn't get rained on too badly and no-one pinches it while you're soundly kipping?

Make a tripod from fallen branches.....suspend your bergen from it off the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE