Help with making a Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorowain

Jan 20, 2009
Lancashire
Hi Everyone

I want to make myself a hammock but I have no idea what fabric to get.

Would ripstop nylon be better than non-ripstop?

I guess it needs to be uncoated and breathable?

what should I look for in grams per meter as it will need to be strong, I am a little heavy after chrismas :) (about 95 kg).

And could anybody tell me a good place to get the fabric go online.

Thanks everyone

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ripstop isnt necessary, and doesnt add to the strength. You will find though that most suitable fabric weights are ripstop though.

You want at least 1.9 0z/sq yd if your making a single layer hammock, 1.1 oz/sqyd will be fine for a double. 1.1 is around parachute fabric weight. (I sleep full time in a 1.1 double at home and I'm 100kg) If your heavy on kit or sleep with stuff in your pockets, or don't count the grams, a 1.9 oz/sqyd double hammock will be good.

I use Fabrics n stuff for hammock nylon, they have loads of high quality parachute fabric in. You want at least 150cm wide for it and at least 3m long.

Pertex is very nice, 1.9 oz but I'm finding it snags too much and I've got pull marks on the fabric. Use it in a double layer hammock only.

Hope this helps.
Uncoated, yes definitley.

BTW, I use oz/sqyd because that what I'm used to talking with americans about hammock fabrics. Just convert to g/sqM if you need to.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm lighter than you but still think this would work.

I made a couple of double-layer hammocks out of skirt lining. This a strong polyester fabric that comes in the perfect width.

I bought 6m and some webbing. I used 25mm webbing, but you are bit heavier so maybe get something a bit wider.

Double the lining to make a 3m length.

Take webbing and tie overhand knot about 20cm/8" in from end of lining. Now tie overhand knot in end of lining, including the webbing (ie, hold them as if they were one length of rope and you were tieing overhand knot in the middle, just like tieing a stopper knot at the end of a climbing rope).

Repeat at other end.

You now have a double hammock. I used laminate flooring underlay as an insulator and slipped this inbetween the layers. Ok for summer but I think it would need more than this for winter use.

I used the hammock I made probably every other month for camping for several years.

I'd save what I didn't spend on hammock material for a tarp/awning. I never bothered, but was camping in fair weather.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Skirt lining is usually polyester taffeta, well suitable too. Polyester doesn't stretch as much as nylon and is a little more UV resistant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE