HELP NEEDED! Laser measurement of badgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
Last night whilst speed gunning badgers in my local wood I recordeded the following velocities:
+/- 1Kph to +/- 3Kph with an average of +/- 1.45Kph. Fairly normal. One result stood out however.

Has anyone else clocked a badger at 45.3Kph?

I had momentarily lost my night vision due to a GPS backlight problem, but am reasonably confident that I hadn't tracked a bat.

Advice welcomed!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Speed gunned a badger, really?

I don't have answer for you, but I'm interested as to why you speed gun badgers.

Sorry to highjack thread.

P

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
hiroo onoda said:
Last night whilst speed gunning badgers in my local wood I recordeded the following velocities:
+/- 1Kph to +/- 3Kph with an average of +/- 1.45Kph. Fairly normal. One result stood out however.

I had momentarily lost my night vision due to a GPS backlight problem, but am reasonably confident that I hadn't tracked a bat.

Advice welcomed!
I tend to get an average of +/- 1.53, so slightly more than you, but I have never heard of one as much as 45.3.......I am wondering if you actually saw the very rare meles meles superchargedicus. In all my years of studying, I have never come across one, but have often heard tales of one being seen. I congratulate you in actually recording one.......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's the apocryphal tale of Lothian police speed gunning a low flying tornado...... and the pilot having a panic moment when he realised that the plane's on-line systems had logged the scanner as an *incoming* and therefore a viable target :eek:

Badgers can shift when they need to, the usual fight, flight or (can't think of a polite word that fits here :eek: ), adrenaline surges, but I wouldn't have suspected 45Kph :cool:

That said, bearing in mind that this list is in Mph, it's not outwith the speed of a dog.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0004737.html

Cheers,
Toddy

Haven't seen any badgers moving that fast...

I did, however, come across some plans for a rocket-propelled badger - perhaps this is what you saw:

badger.jpg

Cheers,

Mungo

Jan 24, 2007
Cornwall, UK
hiroo onoda said:

Advice welcomed!

Iwant some of whatever you had :lmao:

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
Thanks Toddy. I can't say too much at the moment about the actual results of this survey, but I'm hoping that in time my research may help a lot of people, at huge profit to myself.

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Hirooo, what model of speed camera did you use? As you are no doubt aware, badgers eyes are laser reflective in the 40-60 picoHz range and, coupled with the associated doppler problems if the badger is travelling at 90 deg to the beam (whilst looking directly at the camera), may have caused a velocity error. It might be worth upgrading your camera to a Speedbird 6000, or checking the Tandy catalogue for possible upgrades. Check the wildlife section on page 651; they'll have what you need.

Good luck with the research. Please feel free to PM me for my last research on 'Badger velocities and the cure for the common cold'.

Oh, and is Scotland so hostile that RAF crews worry about the ground to air threat these days? And is it linked to badgers?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Roy's Badger said:
Oh, and is Scotland so hostile that RAF crews worry about the ground to air threat these days? And is it linked to badgers?

See post #6 :D
Actually, I think it was Lothian polis who were more worried :rolleyes: :lmao:

I spoke with a friend who does a lot of night time walking; he said that an angry badger will beat a dog over a short distance.

Cheers,
Toddy

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
Thanks for your help, it may well have been a badger at full tilt then. This information will be fed into my calibration unit to help identify approaching mammals while I'm asleep under my tarp.
Roy's badger- I can't reveal the model I use in case my boss is logged on, but its a lot easier to use than my old arrangement. That was not unlike one recently seen on Johnny Kingdom's badger play ground, ie a large hamster wheel. My version used ticker tape to estimate badger velocities but the tape would normally break and ruin a nights work.

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
Zemmiphobia is a condition that affects hundreds of people, some of whom, i calculate, must be into bushcraft. My prototype nocturnal detector unit is almost ready and when available should ensure that they get a good night's sleep in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE