Help needed by clear thinkers ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
All things being equal the leafblower sucks as hard as it blows, so you'd get no net thrust pointing it forward at the sail. As Mythbusters found, in practice the forward thrust may be a little greater than the rearward thrust due to "reflection" off the sail, but essentially you are cancelling out almost all of the energy in the leafblower. You might get some more forward thrust if you stood amidships and pointed the leafblower at 90 degrees to the direction of travel into a Bermudan rigged sail since this is well suited to turning sideways air pressure into rearward thrust.

If however you removed the sails altogether and simply pointed the leafblower rearward, you'd get the most thrust of all (due to the least losses). It would act as a small jet engine. Trying to blow a sail boat along with a device that is on said boat is, at best, a very inefficient way to power your boat. The whole point of sail powered craft is to negate the need for such devices and harness the enourmous power churing through Earth's atmosphere.

There are no free lunches when it comes to energy.

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Why do you need the sail just point the blower in the opposite direction that you wish to travel and cruise off?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ah you see!? that's proper lateral/quantum/expandicated engvilopes thinking that is!:cool:goodjob

Buxxer this:
[video=youtube;d8CPzrHoMOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8CPzrHoMOI[/video]
For a game of soldiers!

I need to get me a goddam turbocharged leaf blower!!

YEEEHaahhhh!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE