Help from Down Under? Making a Swag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Hi,

I want to get a Swag, to replace my old sleeping bag/bivvy combo. Having looked around on the net, I don't want to get one imported as the cost of one is too high. All the ones you can buy seem designed for vehicle travel rather than walking.

An old post on here said that a true Aussie Swag is little more than a hemmed bit of Canvas, folded in a particular way.
I was hoping one of our Australian Members could let us know how to go about making a traditional Swag.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Matt.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
http://www.bigislandswags.com.au/products.html

There are lots of slightly different designs and sizes but basically its heavy canvas either folded from the feet back up to the head with zips and or velcro up both sides or folded from one side over to the other. Inside is some thick foam and all your sheets and blankets etc. They're used for car camping here and they are very comfy.

But they are bulky and I'd imagine a bit of a bugger to dry out if they get wet.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The American bed roll is another version, but like the swag in the link below I would imagine it more for vehicale use or horse back. Here is a link to one.

I am sure you could pick some light weigh canvas and some velcro tape for a fraction of the price and make your own one. Alternatively you could use a modern bivvy bag and sleeping bag with some webbing straps fashioned as a harness.

Can you tell I have tought about this already.

James

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The original swags were just a canvas sheet with a blanket inside. The sheet was then folded over and tucked underneath to keep water out.
I've been reading the diaries of the first Australian bushwalker, Fred Eden, who used a swag with a five by seven tarp over the top. He'd set this up as a lean to/heat reflector on cold nights. He wrote that he wished he had a hammock....
I really think a tarp would be beneficial along with a swag... it could get a bit miserable in a heavy rainstorm otherwise, unless you found natural cover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE