Heads up - Post office not sending sharps after 22th April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I read that as basically saying you cannot send bladed items using standard royal mail services, but you can use their age verification service instead.

So basically as a seller of bladed items such as knives, where if you're a trader / maker I'm guessing you have a responsibility to take steps to not sell to kids, you are being directed to the appropriate service.

So my question is, how many makers of knives on here chose not to use the age verification service? How did you verify age?

It seems to me that two things going on here. First the wording can be misunderstood, especially if you want to. Second there's some being a bit quick to press the panic button or should I say the "they've gone mad" button.

Imho they are just going to ask you at the post office counter, in whsmiths or your corner shop, if you have anything from a list of items in your package. If you tell them you have a bladed item in there they will still accept it but charge you for the correct service. Just like they will charge you for a signed for service if you needed it. They are only notifying you of a change in procedure that covers them and you. This is a non-story. Keep calm and carry on using the appropriate age verification service for sending knives out. I'm sure that's what makers and sellers of knives did previously. :angelic2:

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
I read that as basically saying you cannot send bladed items using standard royal mail services, but you can use their age verification service instead.

So basically as a seller of bladed items such as knives, where if you're a trader / maker I'm guessing you have a responsibility to take steps to not sell to kids, you are being directed to the appropriate service.

So my question is, how many makers of knives on here chose not to use the age verification service? How did you verify age?

It seems to me that two things going on here. First the wording can be misunderstood, especially if you want to. Second there's some being a bit quick to press the panic button or should I say the "they've gone mad" button.

Imho they are just going to ask you at the post office counter, in whsmiths or your corner shop, if you have anything from a list of items in your package. If you tell them you have a bladed item in there they will still accept it but charge you for the correct service. Just like they will charge you for a signed for service if you needed it. They are only notifying you of a change in procedure that covers them and you. This is a non-story. Keep calm and carry on using the appropriate age verification service for sending knives out. I'm sure that's what makers and sellers of knives did previously. :angelic2:
You won't be able to send any bladed article via any RM service. Seems pretty clear.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I think the key info on the website is:
"To comply with national and international regulations governing the carriage of mail, and ensure that mail in transport does not present a danger to the general public, we restrict or prohibit certain items from our network."
If it's a national regulation they're following then it stands to reason that no courier can take the same package. They must have procedures and labelling regulations in place for business customers though so following those codes should make it just as safe for private sellers to post the same items.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

• These items may only be sent using the Royal Mail Tracked Age Verification service (this service is only available through Royal Mail Click & Drop
That’s what I read. You can only send using the click & drop service. Looking at the website it looks like you can use the service as a guest or set up an account. It integrates with EBay and e-commerce sites.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I suspect this is a misguided attempt to distract from the horrific treatment of post masters and mistresses...

It's a theory, except a. They'd have to be exhibiting considerably more intelligence than previously witnessed, and b. Post Office and Royal Mail are separate entities, and have been since 2012.

The email(?) that Stew posted here seemed pretty unequivocal to me - everything on that list will be a no go within the Royal Mail delivery system from the 22nd April.

Given all the things that are already on that prohibited list that I've personally received by post in the last year, I would suggest that there's every chance nothing much will change bar a few more people finding it expedient to be economical with the truth to the Royal Mail. Which, naturally, I cannot possibly condone.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The devil's in the details.. what exactly do they mean by "Age Verification Service"
are we talking a PrawnHub are you over 18 tick box on the postmans tablet or will postie want my Driver's License or Passport and take a copy?

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
The devil's in the details.. what exactly do they mean by "Age Verification Service"
are we talking a PrawnHub are you over 18 tick box on the postmans tablet or will postie want my Driver's License or Passport and take a copy?
I had a saw blade delivered recently by RM. They could clearly see I was over 18, but still wanted to confirm who I was (i could have just said yes), and then sign for the parcel before they handed it over.
I guess if I looked around 18 (no chance!) they would ask for i.D?

What's a PrawnHub?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Right.
Come May and I’ll post a knife so I can see the practicalities involved in the paperwork then I’ll know what we are talking about.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wonder if we will soon see collectors mass selling off their collections .. maybe just keeping their most cherished knives ?
I’m undecided what to do.

I have lots of part finished knives too that have been parked while I sort the workshop. I wonder if there’s any point going back to it.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There's a notice on royal mail website stating:
  • UK - Allowed in the mail, with product restrictions and packaging guidelines. IMPORTANT NOTICE: on and from Monday 22 April 2024 Bladed Items will be prohibited by Royal Mail for all UK destinations.
https://personal.help.royalmail.com...tricted-items---advice-for-personal-customers
Hi Tony, I do t suppose you could add further detail to your first post could you please?

The info is confusing with people thinking age verification will be ok where RM clearly say it won’t in other places.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

No, sadly no age verification allowed either.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That will not prevent me from carrying out the exercise. Let’s see what happens eh?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That will not prevent me from carrying out the exercise. Let’s see what happens eh?
It should be fairly easy to predict.

If you declare it’s a knife they’ll say you can’t send it.

If you declare that it’s something else then you buy the postage and off it goes. If it goes missing there’s no recourse.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
1. I’m not at all certain that they shall reject it.
2. It will be declared as a knife in the pre-print label.
3. My own address shall also appear on the label.
4. Alternatively I can just drop it into a “Click and Drop” collection bin.

I shall attempt both methods.

It will give me the clearest possible interpretation of the bumf.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
1. I’m not at all certain that they shall reject it.
2. It will be declared as a knife in the pre-print label.
3. My own address shall also appear on the label.
4. Alternatively I can just drop it into a “Click and Drop” collection bin.

I shall attempt both methods.

It will give me the clearest possible interpretation of the bumf.
Have you read this bumf?

I don’t see how it can be unclear. What am I missing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE