Hazel with a bit of cherry on the top (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
This staffs approximately 4 feet ten inches high and an inch and a quarter wide. The tops about 2 inches wide. The top was turned from a piece of cherry i had over. The handle may look a little different but it is smooth and still gives a good grip. Below it i've carved in two bands and painted them with bronze paint.
carved stick 003.jpg

Below this is a greenman.
carved stick 004.jpg

Next we have another celtic knot and a celtic design.

carved stick 005.jpg

Celtic knot number 3

carved stick 006.jpg

Finally a celtic dragon and a few stars.

carved stick 007.jpg

Pictures of the back and sides

carved stick 008.jpgcarved stick 009.jpgcarved stick 010.jpgcarved stick 011.jpgcarved stick 012.jpg

The different colours took alot of staining and sanding because i wanted quite a contrast so i carved deeper than usual. As you can see i have painted it in places with bronze modelling paint before giving it 3 coats of matt varnish. After turning the top i drilled into it 8mm diameter to take a stainless steel tube and also drilled it to insert the main part of the stick, it was then glued into place using araldite. See what you think and thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Absolutely fierce.....I am very envious and appreciative of your skill and time...fierce, trully fierce. Thank you for showing

sent using my sausage thumb

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
It wasn't a commision mate but i do really like it so it may end up being a keeper. Mind you i always say that and somehow i always change my mind. There's alot of work gone into this so if i were to sell it what could i ask for it. I think it would make a nice gift for someone that with a little care would last for years and years. So if i were to ask for £50 including postage would someone be willing to pay that for a stick. I dont know. Some i've made are now at a shop near to me on a sale or return basis and a couple before that have gone. If they sell, great, i hope someone uses them and gets alot of pleasure out of them. If not, well that's the way it goes and as i'm in the fortunate position where i'm not counting on the money i'll have them all back here and just keep adding to the collection.

Last edited:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Andy you always seem to find a way to out do yourself very nice. i beginning to think you may need to build a extension so you can have a display room for all you sticks :).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wonderfully rich in detail :D
I could see that having an even greater appeal in other forums, not so much just the craftwork, but the imagery itself :)

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all in the price you suggest; I have a friend who makes sticks for shepherds and the beaters and he charges at least that for his sticks.

atb,
M

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Wonderfully rich in detail :D
I could see that having an even greater appeal in other forums, not so much just the craftwork, but the imagery itself :)

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all in the price you suggest; I have a friend who makes sticks for shepherds and the beaters and he charges at least that for his sticks.

atb,
M

there you go Andy, lots of differing markets out there. walkers, pagans, farmers etc. better upgrade to a maker + :D

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Thanks for kind words everybody i really appreciate it.....i will have to do a bit of research into other forums.....and geordie ive sent you a pm....

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice work on them I think they are great.

Hosting your shots on photobucket or Flickr will help you display them better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE