Hazel Flat Bow in the Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Out for a little wander today and spotted a nice stave "winking" at me. Took out my pocket saw (which just happened to be in ...you guessed it...my pocket). On my return to home reduced it to 72", stripped the bark and created the basic form. It has a natural recurve, so have strapped it in place to enhance the recurve some more while drying out over the next few weeks (or months if the weather don't improve...)

This is the basic profile when hatcheted and rasped to floor tiller

profile.jpg

The upper limb

upperlimb.jpg

Cross section showing slight snake

crosssection.jpg

Hope to have it dried out by end of March to use as part of demonstration for District Scout bushcraft weekend. 50 Scouts coming, and I want them all to go away with a servicable bow and arrow...not asking for much...

archer.gif

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looking good stovie ;)

I have heard that a few people have tried hazel and had success with it. I think its good in tension but poor in compression - so as wide as possible and a full compass tiller will help reduce set, but i am sure you know all this so ill shaddap :eek:

PS are you drying it out indoors ?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
You're right about the nature of Hazel, dwardo, not the best bow wood by any means. But I have made many good shooters with Hazel before, and by belly tempering, keeping the width and ensuring there is enough recurve it negates the set problem. It's drying in the shed, as my long suffering wife will put up with a collection of finished bows under the bed, but not a work in progress...

take a look below at a previous hazel bow...

heattempering.jpg

DSCF4685copy.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely character bow that mate..

Not tried hazel my self as most of the coppices i see are quite young. I am tempted to try elder next as there is an usually straight bit near bye :rolleyes:
Shame your not up this way as i could help you out with some ash for the kids bows. I am trying hazel at the mo for arrows, usually just bought them in as im a little lazy when it comes to arras.

Keep us upto date ;)

PS if the missus is on your case about drying wood indoors wait until she is out and stick it all in the loft ;) .........Hope she doesnt see this !

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Lovely character bow that mate..

...... I am tempted to try elder next as there is an usually straight bit near bye

Can't imagine Elder working. Has a large pith core, and is brittle. But who knows, if you chant the mantra "wide and long" I've no doubt it will shoot.

Hazel Bows

primitivebows.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I think a couple of folks over on PP have had some success with elder.
I keep thinking that a hazel backed beech bow might make a great UK laminate combination.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very nice collection stovie ;) Seems Hazel works for you!

What is the set like with them ?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
A couple of hours scraping today and a quick look on the tiller and it's almost there. Slight area of stiffness in the upper limb around the mid third. A few more passes with the scraper and it will be fine. Drawing 45# @ 28". Will heat temper the belly which will add a few pounds and move the nocks in a couple of inches which will add a few more, and then finish it off.

fulldrawrough.jpg

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Smooth draw (72" length at the moment) and hits the spot. It'll have a bit more "zing" when I tweek it at a later date.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Maybe get the near handle area working a little more on the upper limb?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Maybe...but won't improve performance much. Hoping that piking the length, and belly tempering will improve cast. Will keep you informed...
True but if you're piking it'll give you that little extra working length.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE