Hawthorn berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I made some "gloop" out of hawthorn berries at the weekend. I have been trying to dry it out over the last few days to preserve it - but not had any luck. Any suggestions?

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
ITs good to try these thing but unless you are starving Hawthorn berries not realy worth it

You are right. It IS good to try these things, because that IS what bushcraft is all about. Hawthorns ARE VERY worth it. The vitamins they contain are essential. Just because something doesnt taste like you baughr it in the shop doesnt mean its not worth it. For better flavour, try adding something.

Just a note john, by thinking that Hawthorn berries are not worth it "unless starving" you will arive at that "starving" state rather earlier than you needed to.

stu

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
There's no need to get the hump. He's making what might be a valid point and posting his opinion. I've never tried it, so am interested if it is worth the effort or not

He could have elaborated why he thought it not worth it, but it's still worth putting forward his 2p.

You've posted your opinion: "because that IS what bushcraft is all about". Says who? You. It's your opinion. Let him have his.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
There's no need to get the hump. He's making what might be a valid point and posting his opinion. I've never tried it, so am interested if it is worth the effort or not

He could have elaborated why he thought it not worth it, but it's still worth putting forward his 2p.

You've posted your opinion: "because that IS what bushcraft is all about". Says who? You. It's your opinion. Let him have his.

No need to get the hump yourself. the point im trying to make is that for something not to be worth it, it must offer you nothing. If you were in a situation where you had to live on your bushcraft skills, then the "not worth it "attitude would dissapear (except for situation where valid).

Is this not a site for Bushcratfers and Bushcraft skills?? If so then the processing of ANY valuble food IS worth it.

Thats just MY opinion so back off mate!!

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I must have weird tastes but I quite like the subtle flavour of Hawthorn berries!!

I also like the fact that they look like tiny red apples! ;)

I found some near us that were nearly 2 cms in diameter so they are the largest that I have ever seen? Anyone else? I should have took some pics Doh!

Bird cherry - any ideas what we can do to them as my 2 trees have a glut of them. They taste rather bitter and are quite astrinsic raw!

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
To go back to John Scrivy's comment. I think I sort of understand it. From what I have seen you need a massive amount of berries to make anything worth while after a day of drying because most of the gloop is water.

But saying that they are easy to pick and you can get loads of them - I just have not pick enough - I just got the berries off the north side of the bushes at the end of my garden - so there weren't a massive amount.

On the other side I do like the taste of hawthorn berries, and they do have vitamin C, etc which would be good - as long as you can dry it out.

I like trying these things - now I know you need loads of them to get more than a crumb after drying - that's what I'll do next time.

I don’t think it would be a waste of time to collect them – I think the thing that people forget is that if you were in a situation of trying to live off what is around you – assuming you had clothes, shelter and were healthy – all you would do all day was collect and prepare food and collect water. In this scenario I don’t think much food would be counted as a “waste of time”.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Hope no ones still got the hump--- It was only my humble opinion as to HAWTHORN JELLY is it worth it I did try this the picking and proccessing which I really enjoyed -- IS WORTH IT -- I made the jelly and then went on to make the fuiet leather I took my time and made a lot of effort - But for me the end product be it full of vitamins or not was not as good as I thought it might be So I stand by what I said Its good to have a go with If you are starving

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Good stuff and that's a fair point, I'm glad you clarified it.

There are certain things that you do try and at the end of it all you feel it not worth the effort and I think it's valuable to share that experience. Other people may have positive experiences, but I think it's very important to have all views.

Off this topic, but cooking by hangi and (not bushcraft) making fresh pasta are two things I've tried and decided aren't worth the effort for the returns. If the world ends and the only food left is hawthorn berries then I might be tempted to give it a whirl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE