Has Anyone found "THE" Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I tend to think that "THE" knife of which you speak does not exist anywhere and never will.
The last knife I bought was a Mora Clipper which does everything I ask of it - I also make a few from recycled steel, which means I can play with designs and dimensions but rarely keep any of them for long periods.
One thing that has become apparent is that I'm now sufficiently comfortable with my technique, that I can take almost any blade and produce acceptable results with it - not boasting but you learn to adapt your style to the tools and resources available.

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

Have I ever found "THE KNIFE".

Yes................Plenty of times until experience tells you otherwise.

I have a reasonable collection, but I have favourites.

The Mora No'1 or mora classic is a big favourite and probably the knife that I use more than any other.
The Brusletto Polen (I think) is another.
I am a big fan of the Russel knife / Grohmann Boat Knife as it's one of the best tools to use over a prolonged period of time that I have ever come across.
The Fallkniven F1 is without a doubt one of the most bombproof knives I have ever used.
The Skookum Bushtool is another very good knife as is the Gene Ingram #6, the Gene Ingram #30 and the Alan Blade's so on and so forth.

I am like Tony I always come back to the little Mora, it's light, basic and it works.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
There is no single knife that will do it all 'with ease'. They all work better one way or another, so at best it is a compromise.

For knife work - I more or less found peace with a Skookum Bush Tool in 3mm for the "large motor skills" and for detail work the Alu SAK. Sometimes, that AW Woodlore gets a spin, but I find the SBT covering a larger range in which it is comfortable to use. The Alu SAK gets sometimes replaces by a Falkie U2 or my Laguiole - especially when butchering game. I kinda like them for that.

-Emile

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I was under the impression that the standard thing to do was in this order...

1, Buy Frosts Mora, use for a while.

2, Buy several really expensive and posh knives.

3, Leave the really expensive and posh knives in a drawer and use the Mora.

4, Flog the posh expensive stuff off at a massive loss.

5, Mebbe make a leather sheath for the Mora;)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
alot of people do go back to moras, personaly i dislike synthetic handles, but apart from the blisters from the clipper its a good knife, i always use mine for the rough D.I.Y jobs that may ruin my customs lol.

leon-1

alot of people do go back to moras, personaly i dislike synthetic handles, but apart from the blisters from the clipper its a good knife, i always use mine for the rough D.I.Y jobs that may ruin my customs lol.

The Mora knife has a birch handle mate, the clipper is a mora but the model number is 860 I think and the other one known as the training knife was something like the 760.

When I talk about the mora knife I refer to the Mora knife Classic or the Mora knife Classic Original which is what is pictured in Tony's post.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The knife that I always reach for is my Skookum Bush Tool in 01. Then, it's a close run thing between my SBT in S30V, a Bushcraft Northwest knife (rehandled and resheathed by Ben Orford), an Alan Wood stainless bushcrafter (not the Woodlore but quite similar) and a Ben Orford Woodlander.

When I'm teaching, I do enjoy using the Mora training knives but always go back to the more beautiful, more comfortable and more familiar hand-made numbers.

Maybe the SBT will be shuffled off its perch in January by the arrival of one of Bernie's masterpieces. Who knows? But, until that time, Rod Garcia's little piece of perfection is THE knife for me.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Tiley said:
The knife that I always reach for is my Skookum Bush Tool in 01

MY Bushcraft knife is pretty similar to a SBT, but has a higher grind and different scales.
basicly a full tang Puukko, personaly i dont think it gets much better :)

The Mora knife has a birch handle mate, the clipper is a mora but the model number is 860 I think and the other one known as the training knife was something like the 760.

When I talk about the mora knife I refer to the Mora knife Classic or the Mora knife Classic Original which is what is pictured in Tony's post.

never tried one of those mate, hence wouldnt know.
i may end up getting one one day.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Mora 760 with a blue handle, I have allsorts of knifes and unlimited amount of cash to buy any knife i so please, this one just seems to fit my hand well, plus its stainless steel so doesnt rust when its lying in a puddle of water in the canoe and the handle is blue so if i leave it lying in the grass i can find it easily.

Will soon be perfect when I get a custom sheath for it.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I love my Bernie Garland. I also had a Bison Bushcraft that I sold for help for heroes. The chap I sold it to hasn't used it so i'm negotiating getting it back cos it was my fave. I have a Fallkniven F1 which is nigh on perfect and a lapp puuko which the wife stole and loves for cooking, I have several moras, the classic and the 760 which get used to death and at work I always have an opinel No8 carbon in my pocket........Is there THE Knife....Yes....If it does the job you need it to do proficiently and comfortably then that's the right one for you. whether it's a one off hand made custom, or something from the kitchen drawer......

This one is close, the blade needs to be about 3/8" longer 1/8" wider with the handle 1/4" longer... maybe :)
DSCF0527.jpg

From the top
DSCF0525.jpg

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
The 4" mora with birch handle is the knife I use. The weight is perfect light, the handle is good to grip, not too big and comfortable as it's wood. Since it's oval you can turn it in many directions in your hand making it more "manouvrable" than knives with bigger handles.

Though I would like to get a knife which has the same handle and blade shape but with better quality steel, Svante makes one and it's not expensive at around 50£. The handle has the same shape but has a rougher surface so even grips better in the hand.

I would not find it ideal to "just" use a scandinavian grind knife though, a thin stainless blade like the one on a SAK is the perfect companion to a mora knife, as it's better for preparing food (slicing), roughly cutting (4mm) planking for canoes (again slicing, slices much easier trough the wood because it's thin) and similar jobs. The mora and the sak together weigh very little.

Throw an axe, crooked knife and spoon knife into this combination and you can handle about anything.

Last edited:

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I was under the impression that the standard thing to do was in this order...

1, Buy Frosts Mora, use for a while.

2, Buy several really expensive and posh knives.

3, Leave the really expensive and posh knives in a drawer and use the Mora.

4, Flog the posh expensive stuff off at a massive loss.

5, Mebbe make a leather sheath for the Mora;)

This pretty much sums up my view when it comes to knives.
The £100+ knives are more money than sense in my opinion. I guess it's like having a flash car - it's a status symbol.
The Mora does what you ask of it - nothing more nothing less.
If anything you will do more with it than an expensive knife for fear of damaging it or getting it wet!!!

If you have more money than sense - go for it, spend your kids inheritance on expensive blades that will stay at home while the trusty (rusty) Mora does the business.

The Swedes don't make crappy tools, they don't import cheap stuff either!!!

So get a grip - Get a Mora!!!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This pretty much sums up my view when it comes to knives.
The £100+ knives are more money than sense in my opinion. I guess it's like having a flash car - it's a status symbol.The Mora does what you ask of it - nothing more nothing less.
If anything you will do more with it than an expensive knife for fear of damaging it or getting it wet!!!

If you have more money than sense - go for it, spend your kids inheritance
on expensive blades that will stay at home while the trusty (rusty) Mora does the business.

The Swedes don't make crappy tools, they don't import cheap stuff either!!!

So get a grip - Get a Mora!!!

Says the man with a GSXR 1100 :pokenest::lmao::lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE