Has anyone experience of Paramo analogy fleeces?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Looking for some advice from anyone out there who has used or does use the Paramo waterproof fleeces.
I really like my Fjallraven Sarek jacket and tend to wear it most of the time but the G-1000 isn't waterproof. I have been managing this by wearing wool underneath so any wet coming through tends to sorted by this but I haven't, yet, tried it out in heavy,persistent rain
I help with D of E expeditions and this can be on the moors so a waterproof system is pretty essential. What I was wondering is whether I could use the paramo fleece underneath the Fjallraven if the weather was wet. I like the feel etc of the Fjallraven, I don't feel so sweaty and it is obviously better around fire.
Another idea would be to buy a light weight waterproof to wear under the Fjallraven if necessary
Any thoughts or advice welcome.
Thanks Tim B

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Assume you are waxing the Sarek? Imagine the Paramo fleece will work okay with it but the combination will be quite heavy/sweaty/cumbersome - and it is an experimental idea unless someone else here has advice. Might be cheaper and safer on the pocket to look at something else.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Hi Silkhi, yes I have been waxing the jacket, takes a bit of getting used to, as the best way seems to be lots of thin layers. It is water resistant now as Fjallraven claim but I don't know how it would handle a real soaking, need to experiment. I'm not really a fan of fleece and you are probably right about the sweaty/cumbersome bit. It was just an idea as paramo claim be really breathable etc though I have never tried it.

markjohnlang

Sep 12, 2013
stroud
I have done this with taiga fleece under an arktis Polycotton windproof, works is waterproof but too warm for active walking, that's the rub as the fleece tend to be warmer than the pump lining
what I have done is wear the Quito jacket under Polycotton which SSD a lighter than the Targa fleece and less warm

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Hi markjohnlang, sounds like an idea. I have been wondering about the lighter weight velez smock, guess this is a similar weight to the Quito. Was on the moors with a D of E team yesterday in bitter wind and the Fjallraven was great, wore a bamboo base layer and a wool shirt underneath and was fine, especially like the hood, protects from the wind. I want to keep using it. Sounds like I might have to save my pennies and look into paramo for when it's wet.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Tim,
do you use the greenland wax on the Sarek? i've started using the nikwax wax cotton proof on mine, it goes on easier and, after a couple of coats it seems to be really effective in pretty constant rain. the only down side is that it's not as hard wearing as the greenland wax, so you do need to top it up a bit more regularly.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Hi baggins, yes I have been persisting with the Greenland wax. I remember reading your thread but haven't given the Nikwax a go yet. I really like the sarek and am trying to play with ideas to see it I can use it for most things ( might be asking too much of it). Does the Nikwax wash out? Does it affect breathability any more than the Greenland wax? Cheers Tim

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've found that, as the nikwax is lighter, the fabric doesn't have that waxy stiffness as it does with greenland wax. As for breathability, i doubt there is much in it. if you have enough wax to make it waterproof, then it is certainly going to limit its breathability. saying that, as the fabric feels softer, i haven't really suffered from getting too much sweat inside.
As far as i can tell, it seems to wash out, but i've only washed it once, so couldn't say for certain. but i live in my sarek, it really is my go to jacket, whether it's raining or not.
hope you find a comfortable solution.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of the old Mountain Vent Pull-on fleeces, meant to be reversible, but I only ever use it one way. When combined with one of the Fuera windproofs it keeps me dry-ish, since the windproof hood is unlined and the fleece has no hood. It does make it warm though, good sometimes, not so good at others.

I was in our local shop a few months back and saw a new fleece, the Bentu, which was much thinner than the older fleeces and much more meant as a component of a new windproof system. Not sure how well it will work for water-proof. Might be worth talking to someone at Paramo. I have had good luck with them answering questions on the phone, and even getting some spare fabric so that I could alter the fit of the Fuera to suit me better.

Prior to playing with Paramo, I found that Polartec worked pretty well for keeping me dry-ish when wearing a permeable shell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE