Hand-forged Viking Seax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I have finally finished my seax!

This is the first blade i have ever forged which means the steel is overworked, a bit wonky here and there, and the edge is brittle. but it is mine! :) The handle is some silver birch i turned, then rubbed whatever i could find into it to make it age a bit faster. The sheath has an inner core of wet moulded veg tan. Then i stretched veg tan sheepskin around that for the outer, stitched with artificial sinew, dyed brown and then rubbed some Dubbin into it.

Seax by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

It is more of a reenactment knife or something to put on the wall and look at rather than ever use but i am really chuffed with it all the same and it has given me the inspiration to pursue blacksmithing in the future when i have more time and can build a forge :)

Thanks for looking

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Nice job - I look forward to seeing what you'll be making 5 years down the line!
If you master blacksmithing like you mastered working with leather you'll create some incredible blades!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE