Hand drilling in the uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I would absolutely love to be able to make fire with a hand drill, I still beam every time with the bow drill but to remove two items (bow and bearing block) would be pure alchemy to me! The first time that ember popped in to life I felt like a magician!

So, is it possible outside in the woods with British plants etc at this time of year (with a little preparation!) to get an ember from a hand drill set up? (please say yes!) What is the best combination to use? What am I looking for?

Conditioning has begun... I saw on paleoplanet to roll a pencil between your hands whenever you think about it and this will help between practicing!

Make my year and share the magic!

Leo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trial and error really I find "pithy" hand drills seem to work well - try budleia as well. I have had poor success with the Verbascum Olymian which is possibly what you have (thumb thick stem?). Try thw wilder ones with a pencil thick stem

Dark Mullein by British Red, on Flickr

Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Second year growth from an elderbery tree makes a good hand drill.

Chose a piece that's pretty straight, cut it as close as you can to the main trunk/branch as that bit is pretty dense and will be the drill head. Dry it out and straighten it as it's drying.

Another good material is the seedhead stalk of burdock

Have fun :)

Trial and error really I find "pithy" hand drills seem to work well - try budleia as well. I have had poor success with the Verbascum Olymian which is possibly what you have (thumb thick stem?). Try thw wilder ones with a pencil thick stem

Dark Mullein by British Red, on Flickr

Red

I think you're right, it wasn't cultivated but it is a thick one! I thought maybe the upper parts might be usable but maybe they're too fleshy by comparison.

Leo

Second year growth from an elderbery tree makes a good hand drill.

Chose a piece that's pretty straight, cut it as close as you can to the main trunk/branch as that bit is pretty dense and will be the drill head. Dry it out and straighten it as it's drying.

Another good material is the seedhead stalk of burdock

Have fun :)

Thanks Mesquite, what hearth board do you recommend for those two? I'm probably more likely to find elder and burdock now as there isn't much mullein around where I live... just the jack and the beanstalk number in the garden! Too large!

Leo

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Clematis makes a first rate hearth board, as does ivy. I've done well with willow too. If you are gathering elder, the second year growth is best as mesquite said - try to find some that has grown in the shade as the pith will be narrower. Another thing to try is clematis on clematis - I found some suitably straight stuff which turned into a good if slightly short drill.
I tend to mangle the smaller diameter and thinner walled drills, and I go for shorter drill lengths too - but then I've known folks who only get on with thin and long and don't like heavier stuff. Find what works for you and prepare for blisters. Best to try to limit yourself to a little each day, stopping before your hotspots go deeper. As you progress your hands will toughen and better technique allows a lighter and less blister-causing touch.
Have fun.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Ha! you got me thinking, so nipped into the back garden and got an ember with a set from my bits box in the kitchen - clematis hearth, elder drill. drill is 10mm diameter with 6mm of pith. 350mm long.
-4 out there too - brrr!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks Mesquite, what hearth board do you recommend for those two? I'm probably more likely to find elder and burdock now as there isn't much mullein around where I live... just the jack and the beanstalk number in the garden! Too large!

Leo

As treemonk says Clematis and ivy are the best. Willow, lime or sycamore are all good preformers.

What you can do is splice different drill tips onto elder as finding a dead straight burdock is pretty hard so this method increases what you can use so you could have a long drill.

Some brilliant advice there, thank you. So what was your biggest hurdle or most significant lesson I could learn from you who've broken the spell!

I have plenty of burdock here, and some teasel, you reckon I should splice on to a longer shaft?

Ps good work treemonk! Was that floating hands?

Leo

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some brilliant advice there, thank you. So what was your biggest hurdle or most significant lesson I could learn from you who've broken the spell!

I have plenty of burdock here, and some teasel, you reckon I should splice on to a longer shaft?

Asm Treemonk says... prepare for blisters. Build up the hardness of your hands.

I was on the Woodlore intermediate course this summer and asked one of the instructors, Dan Hume, who's simply amazing at the hand drill method, to show us his hands. They were a mass of callusses and one spot he'd had a blister and the new skin was developing as a callus :yikes: Mind you, he could get an ember via the hand drill within 10-15 seconds :rolleyes:

Yes! The pain! On a previous failed attempt I remember a degree of discomfort! All the knobbley bits that belong under the skin were suddenly more noticable! Can I ask how long it took you guys to master? What is a realistic time frame for some results... my first whisp for example?

Leo

Ps 10-15 seconds? Some people take longer with matches... areyou didn't notice the lazer beams coming out of his eyes when you weren't looking!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yes! The pain! On a previous failed attempt I remember a degree of discomfort! All the knobbley bits that belong under the skin were suddenly more noticable! Can I ask how long it took you guys to master? What is a realistic time frame for some results... my first whisp for example?

Sadly it's something I've yet to master despite many attempts :(

I know the woods, I know the techniques of how to, I've had it demonstrated and been taught by professionals etc and I've tried hard but due to shoulder problems I just can't get that last little effort that's needed to get an ember. Hopefully when I've had both shoulders fixed I'll be able to get over that last hurdle.

Ps 10-15 seconds? Some people take longer with matches... areyou didn't notice the lazer beams coming out of his eyes when you weren't looking!

:lmao::lmao:... You know what... Paul Kirtley was telling us on the intermediate that certain tribes in Africa don't carry matches or lighter so when they want a cigarette out comes the hand drill set and before you know it they're happily puffing away on their cigarette :rolleyes:

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hi all

Mesquite has a good memory! I've put up a couple of photos on my website and linked through from here so you can see them.

Hadza hand-drilling and cigarette

Hand-drliling is more difficult in this country. The materials we have here are different and it's a lot more cold and damp. Particularly today! :) That shouldn't deter you from trying though -the UK is a great training ground because if you can do it here you can do it just about anywhere.

All the best

Paul

Great photo!

Another question please! I am wondering on the condition of the drill and board for hand drill? How hard/dead/soft/sound should they be? I deliberatly cut some largish ivy a few years ago to try to cultivate some good hearth boards but have found that Ivy is pretty tough stuff, what condition should it be in to be suitable? Also for the drill, I have some elder and some burdock to try but should this have been cut from dead stock or living and allowed to dry? I pressumed a certain level of decay would be beneficial as cutting green will effectively just season to wood?

Also, realistically is the hand drill a suitable technique for the survivalist in this climate, I would have thought that there is a lot of preparation required even though there are only two components?

Thanks

Leo

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Hi Leo,

I'll try and answer a couple of questions...

First off - drill

elder drill is good. I tend to work on a drill the thickness of my little finger tip to the thickness of its base, so 10-15mm-ish diameter? I have tried finer drill but have not got very far with them - a bit too flexy for me and not enough sidewall to pith. Give different things a go though - not everyone works the same.
cut green elder, carefully debark it and set to dry. Elder from 2nd year growth is best because of the thicker side walls - you want maybe 50% pith for a good drill. the less pith the more side wall, the more friction surface. Shade-grown elder often grows thicker walls as it is not putting on as much height. You want a seasoned (dried) drill. If elder is dead already it tends to have rotted a little and softened and so doesn't have hardness to be an effective drill. Hand drill tends to need a harder drill than hearth.
You want to trim any bumps off - bumps cause blisters. Kinks are a problem too - blisters and they stop efficient drilling. When drying you can lash a kinked drill to something straight and rigid so that it sets straight and/or use direct heat to make the wood more elastic, bend to straight and let it cool.

Hearth.

twice drill diameter is fine, flatten so that it lays nicely on the ground. Clematis is great, ivy too. Like bow drilling, you don't want rotten-soft wood - it just falls apart too easilly without charring. You do want seasoned wood i.e. dry - dead standing is great (pre seasoned) but dead and punky is useless, you will just drill through it. Fibrous and sound wood like clematis and ivy is good. Standard hearth boards of lime, willow and sycamore also work well.

Drilling

start the set like bow drill - burn-in a hole and carve a notch. I've found with pithy drills (elder) that a deep notch that actually cuts the centre of the depression is best otherwise a peg develops in the centre and wears away the pith whilst slowing drilling. Standard 1/8 circumference is good for notch width.

I would expect you to get smoke on your first attempt, but thats a long way from an ember. best thing is to learn to relax into it, get a feel for speed versus pressure. More pressure can be gained from using the sides of your hands more (the edge down from your little fingers). I tend to get more speed from the flats of my hands. Excessive pressure = blisters.

Start like a bow drill, get a rhythm, let the set heat up a little, watch for smoke and char. Next pick up speed whilst maintaining pressure. You will have to work out for yourself this bit - hard to describe.

I've seen you have got a couple of people recommending thumb loops. Not tried them myself, but you won't be teaching yourself proper pressure transfer that way, and you are adding another component.

As for a reliable choice for fire starting. You will get a smaller ember - so tinder is more critical. Humidity is a big problem as is water content of the set. I got an ember in a downpour once but paid for it in blisters. Cold too is a problem - you have less thermal mass and so the set and char will cool quicker.

I hope that answers a few questions. Anything more specific - ask.

Best is for you to get a set together and practice - you will get to understand the issues involved!

posture is personal - i work with my left heel on the hearth and right foot under my butt, leaning forward over the set. The lean will help get pressure on. Sitting up will deliver less pressure.

Treemonk, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that down for me to follow, it'll give me an amazing leap forward in knowledge.

I have pretty rubbish knees so anything other than kneeling or bow drill style posture will be problematic. Sure I will manage. I have collected some elder for drills and ivy hearths, I'll also get some clematis as I know where there are some reasonable bits. I did have a try on Friday but couldn't even set the drill in the hole! I feel there is quite a challenge ahead!!

Thanks again

Leo

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hi Leo

To answer your question re drills - Treemonk has already advised on elder. The one thing I would add about elder is that after you have scraped off the bark, straighten out the drill as much as possible. Straighten even little kinks. You want to aim to get it straight as a piece of dowel. It's not always possible but this is the ideal.

Re burdock - collect a dead stalk. This needs to be straight to start off with. Remove side branches. Scrape it down so it's smooth and not going to shred your hands. You might want to leave this until you've practised a bit with elder. Burdock works well but you do need decent technique. In the meantime, keep your eye out for decent burdock stalks - they're not as easy to find as decent bits of elder. If you find one with the burrs still attached, uncover some earth, break open some of the burrs and scatter the seeds in the earth then re-cover. With a little luck there'll be more burdock there in years to come.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best

Paul

Thanks Paul. I was hoping to use a straight spindle of hazel or willow and scarf (?!) short straight pieces onto the end of the drill. So at least then I can practice with the right materials until the straight bits present themselves. I

Would you recommend floating hands from the offset?

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE