Hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I did it.:D

I made fire by friction about six years ago, with the bow drill and I finished making a fire piston last week. So today I thought what next. I've never bothered trying the hand drill before as I thought it would be too hard but this morning I thought, go for it. My partner found me a big piece of willow which was stuck in our hedge, it must have been stuck there for a couple of years because that's about the time I last cut the tree. It was very soft but not punky. I then got a long thin piece of hazel which I inserted into a 3 inch piece of bamboo and at the working end I inserted a small piece of willow. I then carved a very flat piece of willow for a hearth board. I had three attempts which all failed. I was knackered and ready to give up but I thought no, have a break, coffee and fag and then try again.:)

Fourth attempt, after roughly thirty seconds, I managed to get a coal which I transferred to a tinder bundle. One very happy chappy and one not so happy missus, as this was all done in the kitchen.:D

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Only made the set today Tom. Will get my son to take some pics at the weekend as my phone camera is not very good.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I'm well impressed Atlatlmam! Hand drill is my friction fire lighting method of choice. Getting a coal first time out! Yey!

when your hands are better you might like to regularly practice it and try different woods and setups. Usually the most successful setups use a hollow drill such as elder, or you can hollow it out yourself.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I'm well impressed Atlatlmam! Hand drill is my friction fire lighting method of choice. Getting a coal first time out! Yey!

when your hands are better you might like to regularly practice it and try different woods and setups. Usually the most successful setups use a hollow drill such as elder, or you can hollow it out yourself.

Thanks for the advice Richard. I gave it another go today.:) I kept failing with my original set up so I changed the tip for a piece of ivy. I had two goes with it and got a coal. I'm actually finding it easier than the bow drill.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Nice.

Do you use the thumb loop idea?

I can imagine that solid wood tips would more naturally fit the socket than hollow woods.

Thinking of making up my own set.
Thanks for the advice Richard. I gave it another go today.:) I kept failing with my original set up so I changed the tip for a piece of ivy. I had two goes with it and got a coal. I'm actually finding it easier than the bow drill.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Hi Rich

I have tried the two thumb loop idea but I found it painful, so I tried the single thumb loop which was much easier. I haven't tried soft tips yet, so I wouldn't know. The ivy tips I used were cut out from a big piece of ivy that I had seasoned four years ago. Originally it was a big hearth board for a bow drill which I had no luck with but for some reason it makes good tips for the hand drill.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Elder and buddlea are 2 examples of HARD woods with fine, dry grain that nature provides with a significant pith hole down the middle. The hollow makes the set more efficient. However it may add complications to your joint between handle and tip.

Very much agree that the thumb loop is probably better as a single loop. For me more freedom of movement I think. You might try a single leg loop in the siting position some time.

My favourite setup is an unjointed elder drill with no loops.

With practice I found that it didn't hurt the hands or cause blisters (unless I tried and failed too many times), even if I hadn't done it for months. I think I adapted my technique to spread the pressure over the thicker, muscular parts of my hands.
Hi Rich

I have tried the two thumb loop idea but I found it painful, so I tried the single thumb loop which was much easier. I haven't tried soft tips yet, so I wouldn't know. The ivy tips I used were cut out from a big piece of ivy that I had seasoned four years ago. Originally it was a big hearth board for a bow drill which I had no luck with but for some reason it makes good tips for the hand drill.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I hope it doesn't look anything like this Rich. I was in tears watching it.:lmao:

[video=youtube;c-gShDczRoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-gShDczRoQ[/video]

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Actually that is pretty cool. Thanks for showing it. Technically it comes in the same class as a bow drill I should think as it is powered by cordage.

I hope it doesn't look anything like this Rich. I was in tears watching it.:lmao:

[video=youtube;c-gShDczRoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-gShDczRoQ[/video]

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Elder and buddlea are 2 examples of HARD woods with fine, dry grain that nature provides with a significant pith hole down the middle. The hollow makes the set more efficient. However it may add complications to your joint between handle and tip.

if you wish to opt to grind just the outer of the drill as it moves faster/can apply more pressure, cut a u shaped notch rather than a v shaped, still no greater than an an 1/8th of the outer circle, making it go through the middle of the hearth block taking out as much of the centre as you see,fit, this will and does hold the drill, grind the outer, and eventually a centering guide of ungrinded wood on the drill.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
That sounds pretty neat. I haven't seen that one. Any photos or video links on that?
if you wish to opt to grind just the outer of the drill as it moves faster/can apply more pressure, cut a u shaped notch rather than a v shaped, still no greater than an an 1/8th of the outer circle, making it go through the middle of the hearth block taking out as much of the centre as you see,fit, this will and does hold the drill, grind the outer, and eventually a centering guide of ungrinded wood on the drill.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Because it comes easily to hand and in convenient squared off shapes I mostly use untreated pine, as in pallet wood. However, ivy is a good natural one, or clematis.
It's very cool, it just tickled me. When you do the hand drill Rich what do you use for a hearth board?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE